The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 AM

mikey_boots is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newb help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivizadams View Post
Dan is a terrific fisherman, and well worth listening to. He knows the Swift like the back of his hand. I've been to his shop a couple of times with a friend, where he builds some very, very nice rods. You could do a lot worse than listening to and watching Dan.
I went last night to the WMFF meeting in Ludlow. Dan was great. Had a ton of info and made it interesting while showing how to tie half a dozen different flies. Met a couple nice guys and joined the group. I'd love to take their tying class but can't due to scheduling. However, I also joined the local chapter of TU last week and will be taking their beginner's class in Feb. Learned the Wooly Bugger at the meeting last week and have been busy working on them. Getting a good little stockpile going in different sizes and colors. Coincidentally, the Adams was/is next on my list before I saw your post, Hiviz.

Thanks again, guys.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:01 PM

hivizadams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newb help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_boots View Post
I went last night to the WMFF meeting in Ludlow. Dan was great. Had a ton of info and made it interesting while showing how to tie half a dozen different flies. Met a couple nice guys and joined the group. I'd love to take their tying class but can't due to scheduling. However, I also joined the local chapter of TU last week and will be taking their beginner's class in Feb. Learned the Wooly Bugger at the meeting last week and have been busy working on them. Getting a good little stockpile going in different sizes and colors. Coincidentally, the Adams was/is next on my list before I saw your post, Hiviz.

Thanks again, guys.
You can't go wrong with a Woolly Bugger. I've yet to meet an experienced fly fisher who doesn't have and use them.

And I should have noted that I fish the parachute adams, not the classic version. I find that parachute flies work better for me. I use fluorescent pink polypropylene material for the post, as it makes the fly much easier to see.

Good luck!
eastfly66 and mikey_boots like this.