The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 02:50 PM

mikey_boots is on a distinguished road
Default Newb help.

I saw a thread in another sub-forum and figured I try to be more area specific. I'm getting back into fly fishing after dabbling in it a long time ago. I'll be fishing mostly in western MA, southern VT, and maybe northern CT. I'll be spending a lot of time of the Swift, Miller's, and Deerfield Rivers. I'm getting my tying kit updated and I'd like to get a good box together in the next couple months in prep for spring. I consider myself a real novice when it comes to tying, but want the challenge and satisfaction of catching fish on my own stuff.

I'm looking for a few good basic patterns I should concentrate on becoming proficient with. Drys, wets, nymphs, streamers. Sizes? Colors? etc. I'll probably try some poppers for bass and panfish, also.

Any suggestions would be useful. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:10 PM

ctshooter has a spectacular aura aboutctshooter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Newb help.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I can fake it pretty well.

I will show what I have and give you a hand the best I can, I'm located in NW CT
Hardyreels and mikey_boots like this.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Mike,

It looks like you have an offer from a neighbor and that is great. For a basic inventory of patterns I would suggest looking for some regional books on flies for your area. There are many patterns that cross state lines very well but you might as well look at those which are specific to the rivers you intend to fish.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard
mikey_boots likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-26-2013, 05:47 PM

Thanks, ctshooter. I'd appreciate that.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

This is a fairly complete area hatch chart. You probably won't run into a lot of these and IMO they're missing a lot of caddis
If you plan on fishing early in the season, you will need those black caddis
Fly Fishing Hatch Chart: Northeast Hatches Deerfield River & New England

Here's a good article about the Deerfield. I'm more familiar with the upper Deerfield in VT myself.
THE DEERFIELD RIVER - Fly Fisherman

The Millers River Fishermen's Association, Inc.
fredaevans and mikey_boots like this.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:47 AM

Thank you, Rip. I appreciate it. Great info and links!
Old 12-28-2013, 09:46 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago I nearly bought a B&B on the Deerfield.
However, the river back then did not have the water quality that it has now. The Yankee Rowe nuclear power plant was still in operation and you could see how warm the water ran.
Plus that big Victorian had bad plumbing and a shared driveway. (with the fire house )
It was wicked cheap though and I often regret not buying.
If anyone knows the area, it's now the town offices in Monroe Bridge.
mikey_boots likes this.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:45 PM

hivizadams is on a distinguished road

I think your best bet is to find a local chapter of TU, United Fly Tiers, or Fed. of Fly Fisherman, and go to a meeting. Many of them will have extra vises and materials, and have experienced tiers who are thrilled to take a newbie under their wings.
The next best choice is to find a fly shop and ask whether they have fly tying classes. Some of them provide them for free, others charge. The larger shops, e.g. Orvis, LL Bean, Bass Pro, etc. often have demonstrations and/or classes.

As far as patterns are concerned, my suggestion is that you learn to tie a couple of basics rather than concentrating on particular patterns. For instance, I would recommend Haystacks, Elk Hair Caddis, Pheasant Tail Nymphs, and Muddlers to get started. None of them is particularly difficult, nor do they require any expensive materials. Once you get a handle on the techniques, then you can branch out. I suggest you buy one of each fly you intend to tie, and use it as a model to help with proportions.

If you noticed my online name, it represents my go-to dry fly: the high visibility Adams. I'm quite partial to it, tie it in 12, 14, and 16, and would recommend you try it once you've got a few flies under your belt.

Good luck-
mikey_boots likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 AM

eastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rough

Western Massachusetts Fly Fishermen

The meeting is tonight at 7 PM @ The Elks , 69 Chapin St. Ludlow Ma.
I am going to join tonight. If you have questions about bug than this is the place to be. A gentleman by the name of Dan Trela will be doing a tying demo. If I retain 1/10 of what is tells me about bugs I am doing well !
hivizadams and mikey_boots like this.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:32 PM

hivizadams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
Western Massachusetts Fly Fishermen

The meeting is tonight at 7 PM @ The Elks , 69 Chapin St. Ludlow Ma.
I am going to join tonight. If you have questions about bug than this is the place to be. A gentleman by the name of Dan Trela will be doing a tying demo. If I retain 1/10 of what is tells me about bugs I am doing well !
Dan is a terrific fisherman, and well worth listening to. He knows the Swift like the back of his hand. I've been to his shop a couple of times with a friend, where he builds some very, very nice rods. You could do a lot worse than listening to and watching Dan.
eastfly66 and mikey_boots like this.