The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 12:00 PM

troutfanatic is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking to fish in Massachusetts with others!

That Metro West area is a tough area to do much fly fishing as far as rivers go. Your best bet would be to head towards the central or western part of the state. The Swift River is about the only game in town right now as far as fishing during the winter. It's also one of the most technical rivers around. But it is beautiful! Once the state starts stocking trout in the spring things will pick up!

You got spoiled by fishing in Colorado! haha Believe me I know I was working out in Wyoming/Montana this past summer and I didn't want to leave because of the fishing!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:19 PM

hivizadams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by howly View Post
Hi, I just gotta fly rod for Christmas and am excited to break it in. I've read that the Swift and Deerfield rivers out west are awesome for fly fishing... Although very technical at this time of year. I must admit, I've never even held a fly rod so unfortunately you won't learn a thing from me, but I love to fish, have a car and would be willing to venture out there sometime.
Welcome to the sport. IMHO, as a newbie, your best bet is to learn the basics (casting, line control, playing a fish, etc.) on still water. Any local pond will suffice. Generally speaking, panfish are less fussy than trout, and they'll help you hone your skills. And to boot, you'll have a lot of fun.
Once you've got some experience under your belt, then you can try your hand on moving water.
And finally, as someone who's fished the Swift for better than 3 decades, I can say unequivocally that it's about the last place I'd recommend for a novice, never mind a first-timer. The fishing is technical all the time, not just in the winter.
Good luck, and I hope you enjoy yourself.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:20 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharkin View Post
Hello Folks,

masstroutgirl, I did receive your PM and I responded as soon as I could. Welcome to the forum.

Fishing in Metro Boston is tough but fly fishing (fresh water) is even tougher..............The pond in Jamaica Plain (JP) is probably closer than any other but a short trip west on RT 2 to the concord area will yield a nice pond as well. I can't recall the name at the moment but some book or movie may have referred to it. Just like any other sport or hobby, a little research is required but with a little effort, you will find plenty of spots.

Do you prefer still water or rivers/streams?

Take care.
The 2 ponds in Concord are Walden (right off rt.2) and Whites pond , not far away. If you head out to 9 acre corner you are in the area. Walden has public shore access ,Whites is limited, both have a public boat launch. Also call the Evening sun fly shop in Pepperell Ma. he will point you to the Nissy and Squanacook . You should look at getting into Saltwater if you want to stay in town and fish the harbor islands. If you have transportation go west of 495.
pm me if you have a question ? I live in Central MA ...18 minutes to the Millers!

The book & writer is Henry David Thoreau.

Last edited by eastfly66; 01-20-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:07 PM

gabysapha is on a distinguished road

Beginner looking to fish in the city

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk