The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By christianfishn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 PM

fattkidd is on a distinguished road
Default New to Vermont

Hey, I am new to Vermont. Wondering if anyone is from here? I am in the Burlington area and need to know where the fishing is good! Thanks is advance

Joe
Old 01-08-2014, 06:56 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Vermont

Welcome to the forum Fattkidd, I'm not from that area but others will see your post and give some help. Lot of great members here and we will be looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures.

Dave
Old 01-08-2014, 06:56 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's quite a few good spots in your area.
Big time spring pike fishing in the Winooski delta for one
christianfishn likes this.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:03 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

Hello there and welcome to the 802 state. I'm a college student at St. Michaels and have a decent amount of information to share.
Most waters are closed for trout until after the spring runoff but some waters are open. The Vermont division of fish and game has a list of some open waters when you want to brave the winter.

but here are a few suggestions:

There's Colchester Pond just to the north before and after the ice thaws its a great place for stillwater fishing. Bass, bluegill, and pike are in the area so take you're pick. Its exceptionally wonderful in the fall if you get a good day mornings and evenings.

The next place that always seems to pay off is a place coined by locals as "rainbow run" on the winooski river its just past Richmond on 2A, about a 35 min drive from Winooski. This would be my go to to learn how to fish the Winooski and what works and what doesn't. It seems to pay off all through the year but the trout are moody. There are some HUGE browns throughout this area. Except the fish are smart, you have to be sneaky and a drift free drag with small nymphs is key. When tossing streamers work areas slowly and make repeated casts to spots you think look "fishy". in the winter as always be very careful wading there are some very deep and swift pools around. And if it is windy, this spot is getting wind so something to keep in mind.

Another good river is otter creek, its a little further than the other areas but if you explore it will be awesome. All of the water in Vermont has potential at the right time. So the best thing you can do is go off this and explore around. Maybe we can get together next fall.

Hopefully this helps, never be shy to pm me in the future.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:19 PM

vtd is on a distinguished road

Welcome, Joe.
Vermont is a very cool place. Especially this winter!

I'm also a newbie on this forum - and more importantly, still new to fly fishing, but this crew is generous with advice. OTOH, I've lived in Central VT for 40+ years. I'm pretty sure you can find many spots to keep you busy, and part of the charm is exploring them over time.

You didn't specify the kind of fishing you're looking for, but...
Start with the VT F&W web site: Vermont Fish & Wildlife

As for winter fishing, things have recently changed. See this news release:
Vermont Fish & Wildlife

I'll also send you contact info for a couple of the primary fly shops in the northern section.

I don't get to Lake Champlain often, but for some it's a draw. I'm more interested in the streams and small ponds. As for ponds, check the Dept. of Nat. Rec. site for a chart of fishing in State Parks. Google & Google Maps is your friend.

Here's a partial list of rivers to get you going:
Winooski River - Marshfield to Burlington
Mad River - Warren to Waterbury
Lamoille River - Johnson to Lake Champlain
Otter Creek - Middlebury
Battenkill - Manchester
Conn. River - "east coast"
Paul Stream - Maidstone
Willoughby - Orleans

You might want to concentrate on the streams in the north & northeast sections since many others were blown out by TS Irene 2+ years ago.

PM for clarification.
Have fun!
VTD
Old 01-10-2014, 04:28 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I would suggest buying a copy of the Vermont Atlas and Gazeteer published by DeLorme, and go exploring for yourself.
Gary