The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Eddie O'Neill
  • 1 Post By ejsell
  • 1 Post By ejsell
  • 1 Post By oldnewguy
  • 1 Post By oldnewguy
  • 1 Post By oldnewguy
  • 1 Post By eastfly66

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 12:55 PM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about
Default Housatonic in April or May

How's the fishing in April and May on the Housatonic. My wife and I are planning on visiting her sister again for a long weekend and will be bringing my father-in-law and his fiancée. Unfortunately due to work schedules we will need to set our plans soon rather than wait and see how the spring weather developes.
Anyone have any suggestions on inexpensive rentals around Sherman or Kent?

Thanks, can't wait to visit again.
Jeff
Old 01-13-2014, 07:13 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Housatonic in April or May

Hi Jeff,
I only started fishing the Housy last August, so can't really comment on April/ May. I guess a lot will depend on the weather and the flow rate. As for a accomodation, there is nothing Sherman. There is the Inn at Kent, but I believe that is expensive. The Fyfe and Drum in Kent has rooms. There is also the Hitching Post Motel in Cornwall Bridge, right at the start of the Trout management area. Not sure what any of these places are like.
Sorry can't be more helpful.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the response. I'll probably have my sister-in-law start checking around for private cottages. We took a couple of vacations in Ontario Canada on the Bruce Peninsula and there was a website we used where people listed there private cottages for rent. Great rentals with reasonable prices. I should look for something like that.
I'm really looking forward to getting my father-in-law out on the Housatonic so hopefully it all works out.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:46 PM

Booked our trip the last weekend in April. We are staying at the Amselhaus in Cornwall Bridge right by the fly shop. I can't wait to get some flies wet their.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

Here is the web site for the fly shop in Cornwall Bridge.

Home Page ][ Housatonic River Outfitters ][ 860-672-1010

You can get daily up to date info there.

btw, welcome to my neighborhood!

Tight lines,

Joe

BTW, the Blackberry River is about 20 mins. upstream from Cornwall if you would like a more intimate fishing experience esp. if the Housy is running high.
ejsell likes this.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the tip on the Blackberry River, I'm going to check that out. I did a little exploring last fall but we were there for a wedding reception so didn't have much time. I did stop in the fly shop and spent a couple of hours one morning and one evening in the Housatonic. We found a spot a little further from the road and away from everyone which is how I prefer it.

I'm hoping to also get into a couple of the smaller creeks and rivers in the area. Most of our small "creeks" are for farm run off and don't have an abundance of healthy fish. Mostly creek chubs and if you're lucky a stunted rock bass or smallie. Fishing a healthy creek with browns and brookies is on my bucket list.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:59 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

The Blackberry is about 5 miles long (of fishable waters). Everything from mountain brook to pasture stream to a whitewater gorge with great pocket fishing. A little bit of everything.

If you can read a topo map, check this out........

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fish...erry_river.pdf

You will see the Housy on the left of the first page.

When you get here (or before), pm me and I'll give you my phone # and we can connect for a quick tour...... I'll show you the spots I love best and turn you on to what flies are working.

Bring something like an 8', 3 or 4wt and you'll have a blast.

You said "our trip", spouse? There is some great antiquing just across the boarder (15-20 shops, just on the main drive ) and some nice little lunch spots.

Tight lines,

Joe
ejsell likes this.

Last edited by oldnewguy; 04-08-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:23 PM

The last trip was with my wife and her brother for their sister's wedding reception. She and her husband have a small apartment on Lake Candlewood. This trip is with my wife, father-in-law and his fiancée. This will be their first trip to the area. My father in law fly fishes, my new brother in law does not but hopefully by the end the weekend we have him hooked. I can't believe growing up in that area he never took up fly fishing. We figure while the girls are doing their thing we should be able to get a decent amount of time on the water. Looking at the area On google maps I saw a vineyard/winery nearby. "Land of Nod", sounds interesting. Thanks for the help I'll PM you and hopefully we can get that tour and some advice.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:02 PM

Land of Nod Winery is right on the Blackberry......It's at the end of the gorge and near some sweet runs and pools.

Our trout season opens on the 19th so there will be plenty to fish for.

Here is a good resource:

http://www.litchfieldhills.com/

Tight lines,

Joe
ejsell likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:27 PM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

I have not been out there in about 7 yrs. but there was a place with 3-4 small cabins for rent just a ways before the shop. I cant remember the name but Harold at the shop should know. It couldn't have been too expensive if I stayed there. They where nice , small but nice. You cant see the cabins from the road and they were on the left side coming from the north. I do remember the fishing was excellent!

Good luck !
ejsell likes this.