The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By nir
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By ia_trouter
  • 1 Post By nir
  • 1 Post By Eddie O'Neill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 02:01 PM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about
Default Help!! Winter blues... Big time!!

Ok folks!! I am going completely nuts here!!

I live in Ottawa, Canada... This winter is frickin' brutal!!! We are almost constantly under 5 F here!

I am starting to think about taking a weekend to drive as far as I have to go south to get to some decent fishing.

Any good winter fishing in New York state that isn't too far from the border?

Would any fisherman like to join me for a little winter fly fishin'! I need to test my brand new Allen Xa2....

Thanks!
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Help!! Winter blues... Big time!!

Hi,

What do you want to fish for/ If you check the salmon river reports they will tell you what's up there. I'm all the way up in Alaska and we have the opposite problem, it is 54* F. here right now and has been warm for over 2 weeks.

In the North East US and Mid Atlantic area I believe it is still quite cold. You may have to go as far as VA. to find warm weather.

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-27-2014, 05:11 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I would get some very reliable intel if your getaway plan doesn't involve air travel. Lots of water that normally doesn't freeze is not fishable for the last month.
theboz and craigthor like this.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:18 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I would get some very reliable intel if your getaway plan doesn't involve air travel. Lots of water that normally doesn't freeze is not fishable for the last month.
Reliable is the word here! For example the Salmon River was a slush bowl last week but few of the reports showed that! I think it depends on how far your willing to drive and who your sources are!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-28-2014, 06:56 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

What do you want to fish for/ If you check the salmon river reports they will tell you what's up there. I'm all the way up in Alaska and we have the opposite problem, it is 54* F. here right now and has been warm for over 2 weeks.

In the North East US and Mid Atlantic area I believe it is still quite cold. You may have to go as far as VA. to find warm weather.

Ard
Ditto southern Oregon. Last few days I've run the gas furnace up to 75 and heated the house .... and then just shut the thing down. No need for more.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 AM

ctshooter has a spectacular aura aboutctshooter has a spectacular aura about

All my local stuff is frozen over and not fishable right now in NW CT.

I haven't seen anything like this in the 30 years I have been living here.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 AM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about

Oh well... If the Salmon River is a slush bowl... I guess I'd be better off stop complaining and go freeze my self catching some pike/walleye through 30 inches of ice!

-25 F this morning with the wind chill... Outch!

Plane was out of the question as I am already taking a trip and some time off at the beginning of April to go west to Calgary for some Bow River fishing.

I thought there might be some tributaries to the great lakes that could old some winter trout/steelhead in a radius of 3-4 hours.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:02 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
All my local stuff is frozen over and not fishable right now in NW CT.

I haven't seen anything like this in the 30 years I have been living here.
It's no warmer further south.Tried to do some work outside today, lasted all of ten minutes. Hurry up spring time.
mcnerney likes this.