Help!! Winter blues... Big time!!

nir

Reaction score
Ok folks!! I am going completely nuts here!!

I live in Ottawa, Canada... This winter is frickin' brutal!!! We are almost constantly under 5 F here!

I am starting to think about taking a weekend to drive as far as I have to go south to get to some decent fishing.

Any good winter fishing in New York state that isn't too far from the border?

Would any fisherman like to join me for a little winter fly fishin'! I need to test my brand new Allen Xa2....

Thanks!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

What do you want to fish for/ If you check the salmon river reports they will tell you what's up there. I'm all the way up in Alaska and we have the opposite problem, it is 54* F. here right now and has been warm for over 2 weeks.

In the North East US and Mid Atlantic area I believe it is still quite cold. You may have to go as far as VA. to find warm weather.

Ard

theboz

Reaction score
I would get some very reliable intel if your getaway plan doesn't involve air travel. Lots of water that normally doesn't freeze is not fishable for the last month.
Reliable is the word here! For example the Salmon River was a slush bowl last week but few of the reports showed that! I think it depends on how far your willing to drive and who your sources are!

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Hi,

What do you want to fish for/ If you check the salmon river reports they will tell you what's up there. I'm all the way up in Alaska and we have the opposite problem, it is 54* F. here right now and has been warm for over 2 weeks.

In the North East US and Mid Atlantic area I believe it is still quite cold. You may have to go as far as VA. to find warm weather.

Ard
Ditto southern Oregon. Last few days I've run the gas furnace up to 75 and heated the house .... and then just shut the thing down. No need for more.

ctshooter

Reaction score
All my local stuff is frozen over and not fishable right now in NW CT.

I haven't seen anything like this in the 30 years I have been living here.

nir

Reaction score
Oh well... If the Salmon River is a slush bowl... I guess I'd be better off stop complaining and go freeze my self catching some pike/walleye through 30 inches of ice!

-25 F this morning with the wind chill... Outch!

Plane was out of the question as I am already taking a trip and some time off at the beginning of April to go west to Calgary for some Bow River fishing.

I thought there might be some tributaries to the great lakes that could old some winter trout/steelhead in a radius of 3-4 hours.