The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 11:47 AM

flybum1331 is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help!! GOING NORTH

I am currently planning my annual spring/early summer fishing trip with a few pals. Last year we waded the Black river in weathersfield vt. It was a productive trip with several very nice browns, a few over 20"! but all were stocked fish. This year i am going to hunt down some wild brook trout in Maine. The rapid river may be my destination but from the info i have found it can prove to be difficult to access. Any thoughts or suggestions on fishing this river or similar fisheries in the area that harbor piggy brookies?
mridenour likes this.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Help!! GOING NORTH

From the north, the Rapid is 16 miles down logging roads and then a mile and a half walk just to get to the river. Then, if you want to get away from "the pack" there's a good amount of additional walking after that.
There's also a way in from the south that's also a good long drive and walk on even more remote roads
You won't find much of the land in the Rangeley area posted, but access to much of the prime fishing locations is controlled by gates. They don't try to keep you out, they just make it difficult for you to get to where you want to go.
There's 3 gates alone on the road to the famous Upper Dam pool and they close them depending on how many people that they expect to walk in.

There's a few other major rivers in that area too. None of which are unknown.
From my experience there, knowing how to avoid the crowds is just as important as knowing where to fish.
We fish the well known locations during the week and then hit the smaller and more remote spots closer to the weekend.
On the river in the picture below, there was 3 other guys there on a late spring Tuesday and 27 on that next Friday..... and this is a short stretch of river running between 2 lakes. 22 miles down the logging roads.

I've become a big fan of the remote "fly fishing only" ponds. We never saw a single other angler at any of the ponds that we fished last year or the year before.

That's all that I'm going to spill in public. Sent me a PM if you'd like more specific info.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 03-31-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

Rip,

I fished a couple days up there last fall before bird season and was thinking of going back this spring to FF. Those ponds you mention , do you hike in with a tube ? Are they public ?

Do all the rivers get that crowded ? The EB &WB must be a zoo ?

do you know much about the campgrounds up by Umbagog lake ?

Thanks

Last edited by eastfly66; 03-31-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:26 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Some are on public land, many are on paper company land.
There is literally hundreds of them.

Get out your gazatteer, find a pond in the area where you want to fish, then look it up HERE
Some ponds are stocked , some have "wild" fish, and some have "native" fish.
In Maine "wild" fish are in water that hasn't been stocked in 25 years or more. Native waters have never been stocked.

We bring tubes, but you'll see lots of ponds where people just have old canoes and tin boats stashed onshore

mridenour and eastfly66 like this.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:38 PM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

I like that idea. I have the guide book for N. New England too. All the maps are in my GPS from bird season. I didn't get to fish the area much , the water levels were up and season ended the second day. The Roach and Rapid sounded like they were remote enough not to get pressured , guess not. Up side is , I can go on weekdays (self employed). Most of the ponds are walk in correct ?

I checked out the link , that gives it all on the ponds!
Thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
. Most of the ponds are walk in correct ?
For the most part. Sometimes they can be pretty hard to find too.
2 years ago we burned a lot of gas one day looking to get into one. Drove completely around it according to the GPS.
Never did figure it out.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
For the most part. Sometimes they can be pretty hard to find too.
2 years ago we burned a lot of gas one day looking to get into one. Drove completely around it according to the GPS.
Never did figure it out.
Sounds a lot like my hunting trip, funny how all those little logging roads like alike ! Have you ever fished the Moose up there ? I stayed at Maynard's and fished around that area .....
Old 03-31-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
do you know much about the campgrounds up by Umbagog lake ?
Actually, I do. There's a state CG on Umbagog with remote sites and another right on the ANDRO in Errol
In Maine there's a private CG in South Arm with remote sites on Lower Richardson and the best access to the Rapid (expensive) and there's a tiny family CG on the Magalloway not far over the state line on Rt 16... Aziscohos Valley CG.... no website
I really like the looks of this one on Mooselook and we stay at a remote site HERE
Cupsuptic CG has a bunch of remote sites on Mooselook (and elsewhere) too
Old 03-31-2014, 03:33 PM

flybum1331 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info rip much appreciated. we were thinking about hiking/backpacking in with our gear and food and setting up a camp close to the river. but id really like to avoid the crowds like you said. But catching some nice brookies is a must this year for me. maybe ill have to look into some other options. what was the fishing like on the ponds, lots of streamers?
Old 03-31-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybum1331 View Post
we were thinking about hiking/backpacking in with our gear and food and setting up a camp close to the river. but id really like to avoid the crowds like you said. But catching some nice brookies is a must this year for me. maybe ill have to look into some other options. what was the fishing like on the ponds, lots of streamers?
I'd be careful where I camped. There's lot's of free and remote campsites in ME and some of the paper companies are pretty good about letting you camp where ever you want.
But ...Maine is very strict about fire permits. They don't like to see smoke coming from unauthorized sites. If you're not in an "authorized campsite" you will need a permit to have a fire.

I'm always looking for good info so recently I came across a thread on some sort of forum where they were discussing waterfront vacation rentals.
This woman was saying that her family wasn't going back to the place that they rented last year (on a pond where we fish) .
It seems that they couldn't swim there because ... there was too many leeches !
Someone else wrote back that all the lakes and ponds in the area were like that and the camp owners had to keep the leeches away by putting salt licks in the swimming areas.
gt05254 likes this.