The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 07:52 PM

flybum1331 is on a distinguished road
Default On The Fly

Spring is here, the air is warming the ice is melting and the fishing is getting better. So I thought it would be a good idea to start an open thread where New Englanders can share their experiences. Talk about gear, fly patterns and locations, share fish tales, post pictures and in general just converse about our passion.
Click the image to open in full size.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

I have been casting streamers at Whites Pond in Concord, Ma everyday after work this week. I even got my little flat bottom boat out on Wednesday. Has been very quiet on the pond but I ordered my first float tube and I should have it for tomorrows session. So hopefully I can post some pictures here of some nice rainbows or even a brown
eastfly66 and oldnewguy like this.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On The Fly

Trout season is closed here in CT. There's still plenty of places to fish however. Trout Management Areas are open all year and there's one about 20 minutes from my house.
Non-stocked water is open all year long too and some of the best opportunities happen this time of year.
Pike fishing in the Connecticut River is prime before the seasonally run-off flood.
The pike stage in the river in predictable locations, waiting for their spawning marshes to flood. Although wading in "the big muddy" is kinda scary, especially when you see the size of the fish that are in there with you.
I haven't done it recently but the anadromous white perch start their spawning run in March and that used to be a great fun, but cold, early season fishing opportunity.

Mostly now I like to fish locally for Calicos (black crappie) and pickerel. I have a few of good places within minutes of my house. The pickerel I catch in the pond just a 1/4 mile away are usually in the 22- 24 inch range.
They're sluggish in the cold water, but still fun.
flybum1331 likes this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 04-04-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:07 PM

Fishing has been phenomenal for me all over Massachusetts the last week or so. Had some great mornings and afternoons at Whites Pond in Concord. The pond is loaded with browns and rainbows. Ive hooked up to quite a few browns on wolly buggers and small midges on the top. Had a productive day on the swift river in the spill way off the y pool. Midges and very small dries. I will upload some pictures soon
Old 04-18-2014, 04:20 PM

4wt is on a distinguished road

I was just wondering if folks were having luck yet. I should get out to White's Pond this weekend. Is it worth it casting from shore / wading in a bit? I've not been there before.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:46 PM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

I rode my bike to Whites to fish many times a long time ago.

You are better off with a tube if you got one 4wt. but if you wade come in over by the tracks or what we old timers knew as Gen Rad. Still , the shelf is close and you cant wade far. The trout like that cove area. The second shelf is close and the fish hold there a lot for some reason ( I dived it, that's how I know).

flybum, are you a member of the CR&G , there is quite a few guys from Maynard there , they have some active FF now too ? I think Capt. Kirk runs the FF stuff ( No , that really is his name , not kidding)
4wt likes this.

Last edited by eastfly66; 04-27-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:57 PM

no east im not a member. I haven't heard much about it either. 4wt whites was great but as usual many trout have been taken by spin fisherman fish are still there tho. go to the back side on a float tube at about 6 at night and ur sure to catch a few nice browns maybe even a rainbow too. the boat launch is also stuffed with 6 inch rainbows. not sure why the state added those. anyone have any idea what is going on at the swift? y pool is almost barren very few trout down to the bridge and below the bridge has also been outrageously quiet. ive managed to find a spot that has held some fat 15" rainbows and quite a few smaller ones aswell (wont reveal my not so secret spot ) but I am curious why the river has been so dead for the entirety of april
Old 04-29-2014, 06:17 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

Speaking of dead, I live within a stone's throw of three stocked ponds in eastern Mass and I haven't been able to scare up a single trout (bass and pickerel, yes) over the past two weeks fishing mostly black and olive buggers. I did have about 5 hits on the bugger at one of the ponds but no hookups.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've been fishing close to home. There's 4 trout rivers/streams here in town and many more within a short drive.
(we moved here from Providence for one very important reason 25 years ago )
There's one pool where I have never failed to catch a trout or 2, but it's been slow other than that.
The rivers are high and rising and the water is cold
Old 05-01-2014, 06:40 AM

dondgt is on a distinguished road

I've been out half a dozen times, but only landed 1 brown (black woolly bugger, fwiw). There are plenty of other folks fishing as well, and speaking with them, no one else seems to be catching anything either.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:06 AM

presentingthefly is on a distinguished road

Had a pretty good day on the Farmington River in CT this past weekend. Landed a few browns and a rainbow and had a lot of fish get away. There were some pretty good Hendrickson hatches in the afternoon but didn't have any luck with dry fly fishing. Planning on heading out to the quinapoxet River in Central MA on Saturday. Anyone have any reports from that area so far this year?