The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tyler185
  • 1 Post By moucheur2003

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 09:09 AM

c_ho is on a distinguished road
Default Early Season - Central Vermont

I'm looking for suggestions for good spots to fish in the early season in Central Vermont (including the Lamoille and it's tributaries).

I was considering the tailwater beneath the Little River Reservoir in Middlebury, as the Spring Runoff might be periodically held up by the dam.

I'm not looking for anyone's "secret spot", but after 5 months of organizing and re-organizing my fly fishing gear, I'd be too depressed to wait for the runoff to subside before I head out.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Early Season - Central Vermont

Hola,

I'm from central Vermont as well. Otter creek is awesome river that has good sections in middlebury and then some in Lower section. If you come down to the Rutland area, you have the east creek which is stocked and quiet a nice place to fish. My favorite spot would have to be furnace brook. Which is located in chittenden area. It is a fantastic small brook which is fairly narrow But runs fairly cold and is very shaded in some parts. It's all natural river which doesn't get stocked. You can find some nice wild rain,browns, and brook trout that get fairly big. There a lot of information out there. If you spent some time googling" central Vermont fishing" you'll get a steady supply of other fourms and old fishing reports that can you a basic idea of where and when to fish certain areas. Search button is a fantastic tool!
goodluck on your journey..
Old 04-19-2014, 01:48 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

The little river is outside of Waterbury which is North of Middlebury. It can be some real technical fishing but I hear there are a few decent fish pulled from there every year. If you are going to be in the Middlebury area there are a ton of places to fish. A lot of great brookie fishing in the Greens. There is a great fly shop there too. Middlebury Mountaineer. I strongly suggest you check them out. They will definitely help you out. Classic Outfitters in Burlington is another great shop.
moucheur2003 likes this.

- Tyler

Old 04-19-2014, 07:45 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Lots of good spots on the Winooski from Montpelier down to Richmond. Below the dam in Bolton is a popular spot. Also the mouth of the Dog River under the I-89 bridge in Montpelier, and just about anywhere else along Route 2 that you can spot a pulloff along the road shoulder.

The site of the former Dog Team Tavern is a well-known spot on the New Haven River. Get in touch with the New Haven River Anglers Association for others. You can reach them through Middlebury Mountaineer.
Nearenuf likes this.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:32 PM

Nearenuf is on a distinguished road

I agree. The area behind the Dog Team Tavern holds lots of stockies this time of year. The junction of the New Haven with Otter Creek is also a hot spot.

You can't go wrong fishing your way along Rte 100 either.

I have not fished the White River since the floods. I would give it a look-see too.

Good Luck

The true joy in pursuing trout is that they live in the most beautiful places.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:17 AM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough

Anyone ever fish the dog river? I went to Norwich and crossed that stream on my way to rugby practice at least a hundred times. Never managed to get a line in it..
Old 05-04-2014, 09:36 AM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road

I have this entire week off and no idea where to go....
My plan A Housatonic River Ct got blown out Thursday night and wont be fishable until mid-week.

Is Middlebury area worth the trip this week ?
Have never fished Vermont.
Packing the truck today and still don't know where I iz goin ???

Somebody kick me please.....

Thanks !

Last edited by royalcoach; 05-04-2014 at 10:31 AM.