The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 02:20 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maine.....I have no idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
......... I climbed Katahdin 4 times taking a different way up each time, I couldn't get enough.
When my boy was 7, I took him up Katahdin via 'the knife's edge'.
He moaned the whole time until we got to the scary part.
At that point I was all keen to turn around but no, he wanted to keep going
Old 04-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I liked 'Dudley' best for going up, you have to cross Knife's Edge to reach the summit that way and then down Cathedral through the boulders. Did you ever stay in the bunk houses at Chimney Pond Park? I did that once and was happy breaking the trip into a three day event. On the way to Chimney Pond I shot up 3 or 4 rolls (36 exposures) of Kodachrome so it took a while. Then I went to the top day 2 and took my time wandering around, slept at the bottom of the Cathedral trail and came back to Sandy in the morning.

I scanned some pictures from Main a few years ago, they look better as slides but.......

This is one of 4 little brooks you cross on the trail up from Sandy.
Click the image to open in full size.

This was a September sunset in 1981 taken from Lilly Bay State Park on Moosehead Lake.

This is that big bridge you pass somewhere above Dexter, I wondered if the flooding took it away.
bear 007 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-14-2014, 07:58 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

We do have Muskie up here, this is probably what you googled, don't worry they are not going away no matter how many tournaments we have. Up here the only put and take fish that we have are basically in the lakes around the populated areas. From what I can gather the Muskie were illegally stocked from Quebec, there's a good chance that they will spread through our system of lakes that currently supports native populations of Landlocked Salmon and Brookies, hopefully I won't be around when this happens. I don't mean to offend any Muskie fisherman, I'm sure they are a blast, but I love the pull of a nice big LL Salmon and the fall colors of my Brookies.

Quote:
Again, love Trout, but if someone tells me to my face that they would rather catch a 14"-16" Trout over a 40" plus Pike or Muskie, they are lying!
I'll take a 30" LL any day!
Hardyreels, Rip Tide and gt05254 like this.

Last edited by bear 007; 04-15-2014 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:25 PM

4wt is on a distinguished road

Beautiful photos.

I have to admit that my biggest failure is that I've pretty much only done car camping. I want that to change this year. Maine seems like a great spot to hike around and find some brooks and ponds. Need to research exactly where to go.

I'm going to take my company's unlimited vacation policy to the max...
Old 04-18-2014, 05:30 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I lived in Caribou in 1968 and part of 1969, loved it.
bear 007 likes this.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
Again, love Trout, but if someone tells me to my face that they would rather catch a 14"-16" Trout over a 40" plus Pike or Muskie, they are lying!
Nah, not necessarily. I've caught the trout and the pike, I've never caught a musky, but I would prefer a healthy 16" wild rainbow trout over the 40" pike. It's just a preference thing with me. Now if we were to stretch that to choosing between a 16" rainbow and a 50" pike I would go with the 50" pike because I never caught one that size. There are some around but I haven't caught one.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Nah, not necessarily. I've caught the trout and the pike, I've never caught a musky, but I would prefer a healthy 16" wild rainbow trout over the 40" pike. It's just a preference thing with me. Now if we were to stretch that to choosing between a 16" rainbow and a 50" pike I would go with the 50" pike because I never caught one that size. There are some around but I haven't caught one.

Ard
Totally get it!

Some folks are into Trout and the mystic that goes with them. The purity, the cleanliness, the beauty. I get it. Preferences of some are different than those of others.

While I like to match wits with Trout and think pursuing a single fish and trying to get it to rise to a dry is great.....

I'm a big fly, big fish, reckless abandon type of hit guy.

I guess my preference is blindly casting over weed beds, points and reefs, never knowing when that explosion or bone jarring take will happen. Then feeling the power of those big fish, seeing those teeth that want to cut you. I love it!

But, that is why there are so many rods, reels, lines, flies, locations and fish. I think we can all agree, that no matter what our preference is, we all enjoy dabbling in other scenarios, for other species. It is why we do it!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:28 PM

redgrayghost is on a distinguished road

To be honest, your style preference is somewhat looked down on in Maine. Pike, Musky, Smallmouth.... All invasive species put introduced by people who were greedy and breaking the law. Sure they are fun, we have an amazing smallie fishery in the Bangor area, that being said people who fly fish in Maine do so for 2 reasons (mostly).. Stripers and brookies... they trap Pike and remove them and Musky are in the northern most woods of the state..

Not trying to be a dick just saying, sounds like a bad match to me. I'll take a 16" brookie from Rangeley over any musky, something about the beauty of it all.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:18 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrayghost View Post
To be honest, your style preference is somewhat looked down on in Maine. Pike, Musky, Smallmouth.... All invasive species put introduced by people who were greedy and breaking the law. Sure they are fun, we have an amazing smallie fishery in the Bangor area, that being said people who fly fish in Maine do so for 2 reasons (mostly).. Stripers and brookies... they trap Pike and remove them and Musky are in the northern most woods of the state..

Not trying to be a dick just saying, sounds like a bad match to me. I'll take a 16" brookie from Rangeley over any musky, something about the beauty of it all.

I get where you are coming from and fully understand it. I understand that the Atlantic Stripper is native, as are the Brookies. I also understand how people want to protect native species.

However, here in the west, it just kills me how people do not want Bass, Pike, Carp, etc. They proclaim their love of everything Trout and would not be caught fishing anything else. Yet, when the topic arises that the Trout they oh so love are not native either, they don't know wtf to say!

I do think I would absolutely fall in love with the coastal Striper thing! I have fished freshwater Striper on fly and it is a blast. I can not imagine being on the coast, launching streamers to 20lb. plus Striper!

Vermont could be an option as well, but the more we look at it, it will either be a return to the upper Midwest or the northern Rockies, PNW.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:34 AM

redgrayghost is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
I get where you are coming from and fully understand it. I understand that the Atlantic Stripper is native, as are the Brookies. I also understand how people want to protect native species.

However, here in the west, it just kills me how people do not want Bass, Pike, Carp, etc. They proclaim their love of everything Trout and would not be caught fishing anything else. Yet, when the topic arises that the Trout they oh so love are not native either, they don't know wtf to say!

I do think I would absolutely fall in love with the coastal Striper thing! I have fished freshwater Striper on fly and it is a blast. I can not imagine being on the coast, launching streamers to 20lb. plus Striper!

Vermont could be an option as well, but the more we look at it, it will either be a return to the upper Midwest or the northern Rockies, PNW.
I think Vermont is a step in the wrong direction there =P And it's too damn cold!!

If you don't move here, you HAVE to make a trip here sometime.. Striper fishing on the fly will change your life