The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 11:32 AM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Maine.....I have no idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrayghost View Post
I think Vermont is a step in the wrong direction there =P And it's too damn cold!!

If you don't move here, you HAVE to make a trip here sometime.. Striper fishing on the fly will change your life
Hey rgghost ....

If you had next week off to fish anywhere in Maine .... Where would you fish ?
Old 05-02-2014, 12:48 PM

opus is on a distinguished road

Well, I tell ya. Northern New England makes my heart pitta patter yet I live in NW MT. Grew up in New England and spent a lot of time in the north.
The biggest reason "I" personally wouldnt live in N NE is due to the politics and too many people.

We do try to plan a singing trip to that area in the fall though, just to scratch the itch.

If you come to MT, I can only suggest one thing; bring your work and your money. After a while you will be too poor to leave. Other than that its great.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcoach View Post
If you had next week off to fish anywhere in Maine .... Where would you fish ?
In the email report from Rangeley Sport Shop today, he said that rivers below lakes that hadn't had ice-out yet were the best bet for this weekend. Other rivers were too high.
The smelt haven't even started their run yet, while last year at this time the sucker spawn was on.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:38 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Well, I tell ya. Northern New England makes my heart pitta patter yet I live in NW MT. Grew up in New England and spent a lot of time in the north.
The biggest reason "I" personally wouldnt live in N NE is due to the politics and too many people.

We do try to plan a singing trip to that area in the fall though, just to scratch the itch.

If you come to MT, I can only suggest one thing; bring your work and your money. After a while you will be too poor to leave. Other than that its great.

You nailed the exact reason we will probably never move or live east of Michigan! Politics, Politicis, Politics and People, People, People!

As for bringing the money and work, one thing I have notice since living "west", there is a completely different mindset and mentality. Generally, people who live in the west, live there for the recreation, the scenery, the people and because THEY WANT TO!

Most are not bound by a job they can not leave or a attached to the location for various other reasons. Those who live in the west want to be there. This is easily seen in the overall friendliness and happiness of the general population.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

,,,, says the guy who's never been here
gt05254 likes this.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:40 PM

opus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
This is easily seen in the overall friendliness and happiness of the general population.
I'm the friendliest guy I know!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:38 PM

casey mealey is on a distinguished road

I think that you will find that there are some world class smallmouth fisheries in Maine. Big Lake, the Penobscot and the Androscoggin river to name a few. An internet search will yield more articles than you care to read.

The pike fishery is mainly centered around the Belgrade Lakes region with other pike waters scattered around the southern part of the state.

Musky in the St. John and some connected waters.

One of the reasons that I have a hard time embracing these fish are that they are an invasive species responsible for alteration and devastation of some great waters. I'm not saying that they aren't fun when you hook up with one though.
As a Mainer, Landlockeds and Squaretails are what gets my blood pumping. I am quite pleased that our fisheries are managed to maintain the integrity of these native fish and their historical habitats. I am afraid that if we didn't show our strong affinity for these beauties then our self sustaining native waters would become nothing more than a stock and catch fishery.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:18 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

From what I've read & what people I've met who have either been or lived there have all told me I should one day visit Maine as it's a Beautiful State & The Fishing is Great with Monster Brookies.

Even though I haven't caught A Muskie I've caught Both Fresh & Saltwater Pike & will honestly say I would rather catch a 14-16 inch Trout or preferably & including larger varieties of Salmon.
The reasons behind my thoughts are because a few years ago I was at The Sventna Post Office & Joe who Built & Run it for many years told me that Pike was put in most of The Lakes in South Central Alaska which one day they would regret as they have a habit of Cleaning any other species out.
If anyone has seen Saltwater Pike in action they will know as they virtually just Rip though any School of Fish & with their Dog Like Teeth you can imagine what happens.
Brian.