The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 04:44 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Maine.....I have no idea!

Seriously.....

I have never been, really do not have a clue, but am wanting to know.

We are from the upper Midwest and I cut my teeth fishing those areas. We are talking upper Midwest fisheries and Sunset Country in Northwest Ontario. Smallmouth, Largemouth, Pike, Muskie, Kings, Steelhead, Trout.....I fished them all. While I enjoy chasing Trout, especially on technical fisheries, I am a warm water, big fly, big fish guy! My three favorite species to chase are Smallmouth, Muskie and Steelhead!

Having said this, we are currently in the *&# $(%* desert of Phoenix, Arizona and I can not wait the get the *&$@ out of here. Thus, the dilemma arises. I like the mountains, it just needs to be the northern Rockies. We are looking into western Montana, central to southern Oregon, possibly Idaho, northern Wisconsin and perhaps Maine. The better half LOVES Maine. I have never been. My thoughts and what I am telling her are that Maine is basically northern Wisconsin or Minnesota, except you replace the Atlantic with either Lake Michigan or Lake Superior, so why not move back to the upper Midwest!

So, for those of you in the know.....

what does Maine have to offer a guy like me, who is a warm water junkie who loves chasing Smallmouth, Muskie and Steelhead?

Here is what I know; Maine has everything I like to chase, plus Striper, minus the Steelhead. One of my questions is, how good is the Smallie and Muskie fishing? Also, what is there to chase in late Fall, Winter and early Spring, when I would normally be in pursuit of Steelhead in the upper Midwest?

I looking for any and as much information as I can get! If it is up to me, she brought me to the desert, I'm takin' her back to the upper Midwest! LOL.

Thank You in advance to those who contribute to this!
Old 04-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Maine.....I have no idea!

I always enjoyed it more in September. Many streams close early but most of the good land lock salmon rivers remain open until the end of the month. I fished in Piscataquis and Aroostook counties from 1979 - 1994 but have not been back since. Only once was I there in Summer and the bugs can be more plentiful than the fish at times. Most notably blackflies, bad medicine those things.

Fall is the spawn run for the salmon and they are very active in the rivers. They can be more predictable during the run and that's why season closes October 1st. There are no bugs, the fall colors are spectacular due to the density of maple trees in the mix and I can't think of a better time to see Maine!

If you go in fall take the back roads home through VT. & New Hampshire you will not soon forget the towns and all the tall white steeples of the churches. That's why I went every year

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-13-2014, 05:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's basically no muskie. Only one lake that I can think of. Very little northern pike for that matter too and smallmouth are considered trash fish by many fly fishermen.
At one river, you're even encouraged to throw them in the bush.
Maine is all about the brook trout (and land locked salmon) and any predator of the brookie is not welcome.

... However... there's some outstanding smallmouth fishing in both rivers and lakes and get more popular all the time
Old 04-13-2014, 06:59 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
There's basically no muskie. Only one lake that I can think of. Very little northern pike for that matter too and smallmouth are considered trash fish by many fly fishermen.
At one river, you're even encouraged to throw them in the bush.
Maine is all about the brook trout (and land locked salmon) and any predator of the brookie is not welcome.

... However... there's some outstanding smallmouth fishing in both rivers and lakes and get more popular all the time

Sounds like this **** hole we are in now. They had a world class Pike fishery here and destroyed it. I'm talking about a lake that for me, produced average Pike of 37"-39", with my best being a 43". They gill netted it to rid the Pike, to keep yet another put and take Trout fishery.

I'm not against Trout, but you had a fishery that produced Pike that folks spend $3,000 plus US a week to go to northern Canada for and they gill net it! For the 10,000th put and take Trout fishery in the state! On a side note, I got into it with one of the Game and Fish biologists via email over this. The end of the email chain came when he told me the Pike were not native and I enlightened him that neither were the bath tub Trout they were stocking!

I googled Maine Muskie and saw some nice pictures, but if it is not worth it and the Smallies are trash, hell, that puts me right where I am now, only with better scenery. I guess Maine may be nixed from the list before it gets started!

Again, love Trout, but if someone tells me to my face that they would rather catch a 14"-16" Trout over a 40" plus Pike or Muskie, they are lying!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:09 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

I've never heard of big Pike and Muskie, but there is some good small mouth fishing there. Most people there fish for brook trout and landlocked salmon, but there are a bunch into warm water as well. Check out the Penobscot river in Medway for smallmouth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
Sounds like this **** hole we are in now.
Maine is far from being a shithole. It's a beautiful place. They're just protective of their brookies.
90% of all native brook trout in the USA reside in the great state of Maine and they'd like to keep it that way.
A 3 to 5 pound brook trout is a beautiful thing.
They don't call Maine "vacation land" for nothing.
The northern 2/3 of the state is one big tree farm loaded with lakes and streams
and people flock to the coast for the scenery.
No, it's no shithole.
We had a cottage on the shore last September (I prefer the woods) and ate our fill of lobster almost nightly. $3.49lb off the dock... can't beat it.
Hardyreels, Nearenuf and gt05254 like this.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:08 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

What Rip Tide said, to the max!
Gary
Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 PM

I grabbed this photo off FB of my friend Philippa and a smallmouth that she caught at a "down east" lake last summer (hope she doesn't mind )
Looks like a nice one to me.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:55 PM

First, I want to apologize to any I offended. I did not want to infer that Maine was a POS, as we all know it is a beautiful state!

I was simply trying to reference that fact that I was displeased with the fisheries management where I am and that when I move, I want to be in an area where there are high numbers of the fish I like to pursue.

It is great that Maine has some opportunities for Smallmouth and one or two opportunities for Muskie. Again, I want to be where the numbers of those species are higher. That is a nice Smallie in the picture, however, I want those to be more common than one or two like that a year.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Frankly I'm surprised that I ended up in Alaska, Maine was my first choice. All those years, sometimes a three week wandering about the state, summertime motorcycle trips up or down on Rt. 1 it's beautiful. Places with names like Bucksport right at the head of Penobscot Bay are fond memories and yes the lobsters were a bargain there too Paul

I always wanted to do a 2 week camp & float down the Allagash but never got it done, that will be one of those loose ends when I'm too old.......... I climbed Katahdin 4 times taking a different way up each time, I couldn't get enough. One year I spent 2 weeks back at Spenser Bay and fished the Roach when you could catch 10 - 20 salmon a day if you were on your game. Made a friend up in Jackman who had the General Store there and what he didn't know about the salmon I didn't need to know.... Maine is quite a place, had I bought those 52 acres at Monson back in 82 I would have ended up there. When I think of that land I could cry, 52 acres for $13,000 and yes there was a trout stream and mature timber, duh, what was I thinking? I was eyeballing land right next to my home in the mountains of Pennsylvania and scared of having too many irons in the fire I guess.

Maine was always a dream and still is for me.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;