Farmington in MA ?

eastfly66

Reaction score
Has anyone fished the Farm in Otis MA ? Any info on it , how big is it ? type of water ? Is it flooded right now like everywhere else ?

Thanks

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The Farmington in Otis is just another small Berkshire stream just like many (many) others in western Mass. The difference is that once it passes through Colebrook Lake/W. Branch Reservoir in CT it becomes a world class tailwater.

eastfly66

Reaction score
The Farmington in Otis is just another small Berkshire stream just like many (many) others in western Mass. The difference is that once it passes through Colebrook Lake/W. Branch Reservoir in CT it becomes a world class tailwater.
Thanks Rip,

That solves that question ! I have plenty of those small streams close by so I don't want to drive 2 hrs for another. The same amount of time will put me on the Ct. Farmington. I have only fished there 1 time. Can you briefly tell me a little more about it ? I understand it is similar to the Swift ? Could you use the Swift as a bench mark for me to reference. It is a lot bigger I guess so not as crowded ? If I have to drive 2 hrs than that is what I will do.

BTW you just saved me 40 bucks in gas !!!!!!!

Thanks
East

Rip Tide

Reaction score
BTW you just saved me 40 bucks in gas !!!!!!!
You know what ? sorry.
No offense, but I've done all my own leg work over many years traveling through all of NewEngland scoping out places to fish. Just because you live in an urban area doesn't give you or anyone else a free ride. A two hour drive or not.
The Farmington is well documented as is most New England rivers and you should have no problem doing your own recon.

Here's some maps, north to south.
Below the dam through the first TMA has the most stable water temps year 'round and the first TMA is most popular with the fly guys. Map 4 has probably the least excessable and less fished section.
That's all I'm going to say

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fis...(goodwin_dam_to_wbr_tma)_new_seasonal_tma.pdf
http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fishing/stockingmaps/farmington_river-2_(wbr_tma_extended).pdf
http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fis...gton_river-3_(wbr_tma-lower_collinsville).pdf
http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fis...ington_river-4_(lower_collinsville-rt177).pdf

eastfly66

Reaction score
That's fine with me Rip. I wasn't asking for your spots , I was asking more how it defers from the Swift in general which I am familiar with. Things like does it get super crowded , the size (wading) of the river from section to section , how it holds up outside the TMA in summer. Just general info. from someone who fishes the river and not writing for a magazine. No offense taken , I live far from urban anything and not looking for a free ride. Thanks for the links , I will go check em out.

The reason I ask is I read the Farmington in the Otis area was a great river !
The guy that wrote it probably never even stepped foot in Otis Ma. !

If you didn't post I probably would have driven to Otis tomorrow without knowing and not been to happy.

lostgringo

Reaction score
framington is in newmex.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

fishing is not half bad near farmington NM too.

englishspringer

Reaction score
East,

I'm happy to give you my $.02 comparing the Swift to the Farminton. Keep in mind this is just my 2nd season fly fishing and I've been to the Farmington 3x and the Swift 20x (maybe more).

In short its night and day. The Farmy is big and long with lots of places to fish so nowhere near as crowded as the Swift, although it does gets tons of pressure in all the hot spots. The Swift is sight fishing and easy wading and despite the crowds the fish are big and the fishing reliable all season.

The Farmy has some large holdover Browns and the average size Bow stockers with some juvenile Salmon around too. The Farmy is much tougher to wade and the flows vary a lot.

In my limited experience the Farmy is truly a classic Triout water that is very challenging and seems to have less fish than the Swift. I've never done well at the Farmy so That's why I make the 90 minute drive to the Swift and skip the 2 hour drive to the Farmington. Next year I'm not bothering with a CT license.

Dave