The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 07:50 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lake Placid / Saranac Lake area

Is there any more effective ways of fishing the Ausable/ pocket water up there.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:55 PM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
Is there any more effective ways of fishing the Ausable/ pocket water up there.
I fish a lot of pocket water 802 and actually prefer it. I do a lot of high sticking and long line nymphing with a indy (NZ strike my favorite now). of course if there is a hatch I go for the drys. I don't seem to do well with streamers unless I dead drift em , but that is just me. I like what Dave Whitlock says " if your not ticking the bottom and losing a few flies , your not deep enough"
Old 04-26-2014, 10:07 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

The locals around the Au Sable also use nymphs as eastfly has mentioned. But I would like to suggest that you also use the adirondack patterns like the haystack, and the usual. The Au Sable bomber and the Au Sable wulff. They are great in the fast turbulent waters of the Au Sable river. Just my 2 cents.
Click the image to open in full size.

I don't have any more usual flies left as they go fast. But it is definitely a very under rated highly effective fly. I will tie some up in the morning and post a pic.
Glen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eastfly66 likes this.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 04-27-2014, 07:41 AM

pm287 is on a distinguished road

The wife and I made an East trip from home in Indianapolis to Vermont and the Lake Placid last summer. We had a quick stay in Vermont with rain but we both fell in love with Lake Placid. Lake Placid had the combination for both of us, the Olympic village for her and Fly Fishing for me. Being a beginner on river fishing it was a rewarding challenge for me. Only landed one Brown but it was fun. It was so good we are going back to Lake Placid and Vermont the first of July. We are both looking forward to the trip. So these comments will help me plan my days fishing.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:15 AM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

That's great. If you need any thing else please let me know. I will be glad to help out. If you guys are there on the forth of July, Saranac lake puts on an awesome fireworks display right on the water, also there is a great parade in the town of lake placid.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:23 PM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

I believe a couple of those are Fran Better's patterns if my memory is correct ?

Was not the "Picket Pin" one of his favorites also for the Ausable ?
Old 05-03-2014, 07:27 PM

All those patterns were Fran betters. The picket pin I am not sure of.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:18 AM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough

Great information here. Hope to get on the saranac as well, everyone seemes concentrated on the ausable.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:44 AM

802 & Gzaboni,

You guys got me remembering how much I liked fishing the area I decided to make a trip back. The nice thing about it is I can plan a trip with the wife and there are plenty of things for her/us to do when I am not on the water. I took her up to Pittsburgh N.H. one time and that was a MAJOR mistake ! That relax and read a book thing only goes so far .......

Also, added to my list from another thread here is West Canada Creek , found a nice campground on the river there. I wish a purchased the lifetime license back in the 80's when I lived in Cortland NY. ! (Another one of my MAJOR mistakes ).
Old 05-04-2014, 07:30 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
Hope to get on the saranac as well, everyone seemes concentrated on the ausable.
My fishing partner went to school at Paul Smith's and lived in Saranac Lake, so back in the olden days I fished around there often.
However I don't remember us fishing the Ausable even once.