The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough
Default Lake Placid / Saranac Lake area

Hello,

Every year we go to CAN-AM, it's the last weekend of July . It's a rugby tourney located in Saranac lake, NY. I usually stay on Mirror lake. I'd like to explore the area this year and get a few days of fishing in. I make the drive from central Vermont, I always see a ton of fly fisherman off the side of the road on the Ausable river. I would like to fish a more secluded area. Can anyone give me some river or streams for brook trout? Bringing along my 4wt. I know people don't like to disclose good spots in their area so I would be really appreciate if you would PM, if you don't want to post it on here.
Might have the money for a half day guide, so recommendations for guides would be great.
Thank you !
Old 04-22-2014, 06:58 PM

eastfly66 has a spectacular aura abouteastfly66 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Lake Placid / Saranac Lake area

I fished up Wilmington/Ausable way back. Very pretty area. I remember being told there are quite a few remote ponds. I don't have info to offer b/c we started going to Pittsburg NH after that. I plan on going up again this June , I think the wife will enjoy that trip , there are things to do with her up there.

Good luck and have a good trip !
Old 04-24-2014, 03:52 PM

4wt is on a distinguished road

I try to go to Ausable once a year. If you hike down the river away from parking lots, you'll find areas to fish.

There are some backwoods spots but lips may be tight about them. Be sure to stop in to the Two Fly Shop! Great guys.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:40 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

I live 45 mins from the Au Sable river. I can provide you with some great info. The Saranac river should not be over looked. There is the bouquet river also. Then you have the Salmon and trout rivers right in my back yard. Send me a pm and I can give you more details. Also get in touch with Tom of the Au Sable fly shop. Best guy around. He works with John ruff of ruff waters fly fishing. You can also try Wiley's flies, the owner is world renown tier Vince Wilcox. I would be able to spend the day with you also if it plays out right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eastfly66 likes this.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 04-25-2014, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzarboni View Post
I live 45 mins from the Au Sable river. I can provide you with some great info. The Saranac river should not be over looked. There is the bouquet river also. Then you have the Salmon and trout rivers right in my back yard. Send me a pm and I can give you more details. Also get in touch with Tom of the Au Sable fly shop. Best guy around. He works with John ruff of ruff waters fly fishing. You can also try Wiley's flies, the owner is world renown tier Vince Wilcox. I would be able to spend the day with you also if it plays out right.

When I was up there it was some time ago. I remember Fran Betters had a shop there that has since been sold I believe ? There was a diner across the way from the Wilderness Inn that made a killer B-fast , are they still there ?
Old 04-25-2014, 09:06 AM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

Fran Betters original shop is in ruins. The place is up for auction. All kinds of issues with who owns the land. Fran's 2nd location is now called up the creek and currently is getting renovated. The place is a restaurant with cabins in the back for rental and a soon to be bike shop. I can't think of the name but yes the diner is still there.

eastfly66 likes this.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:48 AM

4wt is on a distinguished road

I think you might be talking about the Hungry Trout... better places to be had IMO.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:54 AM

Default Lake Placid / Saranac Lake area

The hungry trout has changed a lot. There is a lodge/cabins and restaurant and now a fly shop. The diner that used to be attached to Fran's place is what eastfly66 was asking about. I believe the name is up the creek the Hungry trout was never a diner always a pretty fancy restaurant.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:00 PM

That is correct. I know the Hungry Trout , that is a different place than I am thinking. I liked the fishing up there , lots of pocket water. Pretty cheap to stay too ! I thought Fran Betters passed away ?
Old 04-25-2014, 06:20 PM

Yes, Fran Betters passed away in 2009. You are also correct about the pocket water. The scenery is amazing to!