The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By dharkin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 03:13 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice
Default Switch/Spey on the Deerfield ?

Has anyone tried this as a tactic for the high flow on the Deerfield ? I know Walt advocates it and gives a Spey day out there but I have yet to see someone using it ? The flows appear to be leveling out but the release is at 6 AM and runs all day , for some reason I cannot access the Archived Data page?
Old 04-25-2014, 05:28 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Switch/Spey on the Deerfield ?

What tactic?

Just curious, not busting chops.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:36 PM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharkin View Post
What tactic?

Just curious, not busting chops.
guess it isn't really a "tactic".....

Was wondering if anyone uses a switch/spey to work around the high water flows ?

I don't know much about spey , just what I saw out on the Salmon a few weeks ago. I have been told guys fish up by the dam even when the water is roaring (1500 cfs) with those spey sink tips ?

Seems like an idea ? They do not need any room to back cast to get a line out 60-70 + feet , I have seen them do that anyway .
Old 04-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I use the rods and the tactics and regardless of water levels it is the best way to fish wet flies there is. For streamer fishing it can't be beat, you keep the fly in the water more and as you pointed out I can cast 70' out with no back cast.

Ard
eastfly66 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-25-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I use the rods and the tactics and regardless of water levels it is the best way to fish wet flies there is. For streamer fishing it can't be beat, you keep the fly in the water more and as you pointed out I can cast 70' out with no back cast.

Ard
Thanks Ard,

I was thinking about that when I was up on the Salmon. The release on the Deerfield makes it so that you have to "stay ahead of the bubble" , which is kind of a pain to jump back in my truck and drive down river every 1.5 hrs or so. The Drift boats anchor up in the high water and pick off some big browns in the deep pockets. I thought , isn't this like they are doing for steelhead up in NY ? if so , it should work on the Deerfield ? I have heard guys say they do it but I have yet to see anyone with a spey or switch out there. Actually, when they release I just don't see anyone at all ! (except for the Harrison guides on a toon) It looks like a real benefit to have that tool in my favor.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:25 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Got it. I wasn't sure where you were going. I would be willing to bet that you would be able to gain the same advantage "swinging" flies in the high water using a sink tip line. The river isn't that big (wide) like the Columbia River (and other big rivers) where Spey rods are common. I'm going to get a bunch of **** for saying this but...........

The point of the spey rod is to cast far, cover a bunch of water with minimal effort with the least amount of casts. AKA .......big water. the Deerfield just isn't that big. Spey casting also doesn't rely on the "false Cast" like traditional fly rods.

Sink tip/full sink lines are tough. they require adjustments to your casting stroke and false casts. However, just like anything else, if you learn how to use them, they can be deadly.

Give 'em a look

Full disclosure;

Although my statements were done in advance of Ard, My post was placed after Ard's. Furthermore, it's my belief that Ard stole my best thoughts and then he made me look like a dope. Just sayin'
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:03 PM

ok, so we think I can accomplish the same thing doing spey type cast with say my 10' 5 or 7 wt.(single hand) with a full sink Line ? We don't need all those special sink tips ?

When I was with Pat Miura up in NY, he gave me the basic cast to work on and I have a long way to go.

Basically I am trying to solve " how do we get to those fish when they release and they go deep and there is no room to wade/cast" ? I know some of the fish can be had on the edges but the big boys are deep in the middle. I saw a brown a guy pulled out this winter that looked like it came from the Salmon river! I want some of that action !

I would think a sinking line would get wrapped around the rocks in the current ? I even heard of dry fly fishing with a switch/spey. I like the idea of swinging wets and streamers , I think it might be effective on the DF ?

hey, if they give you a lot of #@% at least it will be input for the post !

maybe a switch rod ? something in the middle . Ard, do you have a preference for switch or spey under different conditions ?

Last edited by eastfly66; 04-25-2014 at 07:43 PM.