The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 02:56 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A Day in Maine

Yesterday was good here in Mid-Coast Maine as well. More caddis than black flies, and there were about a jillion black flies. All browns here, silvery ones. The menu of the day was Elk Hair Caddis with a BH GR Hare's Ear dropper, just like back home in Colorado, just like at our summer place in upstate NY.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:27 PM

warpig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I have to admit I was surprised myself as the rivers where'd you'd normally find fish like that are over their banks with ice water.

But to be jealous of someone else's success ?... bad form dude

Not jealous and sorry if I came across in that manner. Ice was out and levels were low. midges were the only bugs coming off with a random bwo but the fish were not keyed in. I just think it's spectacular and surprising. Congrats to the fisherman who either found a pod of rising fish in 39 degree water or nymphed them up with a 7' 3wt. Serious stuff right there
oldnewguy likes this.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:45 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpig View Post
Not jealous and sorry if I came across in that manner. Ice was out and levels were low. midges were the only bugs coming off with a random bwo but the fish were not keyed in. I just think it's spectacular and surprising. Congrats to the fisherman who either found a pod of rising fish in 39 degree water or nymphed them up with a 7' 3wt. Serious stuff right there
I'll end the suspense.

Five were on a #12 chartreuse woolly bugger; one was on a #10 purple woolly bugger; one was on a #20 or #24 olive nymph (I don't remember and I lost it).

These were not wild trout. Every year Maine releases brood stock fish to a few rivers. That's what these were.

Honestly, the 3 wt rod didn't give me any trouble once I switched to 4X tippet. The heavier tippet allowed me to lean on the fish a little more to cut down the fighting time. Still, the rod had an impressive arc to it.

I often fish with ultralights (1 wt and 2 wt). If I had known I'd get into these fish, I'd have used a 4 wt or 5 wt.
warpig and Rip Tide like this.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:05 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Some of the special streams I knew back in the 60's will be visited soon in Maine. Aroostook County in the North.