The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By plecain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 09:49 PM

fishsalmo56 is on a distinguished road
Cool Fishing the blue lines

Folks -
I have story which then leads to a question. As I was driving home the other night, I detoured and went looking at a smaller river that runs near my house here in central Vermont. I got out at one point and was looking at this beautiful stretch of water. Smaller pool and run, gin clear, sandy/gravelly bottom. A deep pool at the head end, tapering to shallower water before the river heads down through a run. The water is shaded by some nice trees, ledges coming to the water's edge. But here's my question. I sat and watched the river for about 45 minutes, moving a couple of times, and saw no rises, no hatches, and no other real signs of life - bug, fish, crawfish, or otherwise. Didn't see any signs that any fishermen had been there either. Am I missing something?? This stretch of water screams to me that there ought to be some natives in here and lots of bugs.
Interested in others observations along the smaller streams in the area.
Thanks! Tight lines.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:01 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing the blue lines

Sounds like water begging for a fly Float an attracter pattern with a dropper nymph and see what happens!

Sometimes some research online can yield some information. DNR stocking reports, forums, etc. Also trace the stream on a map to see what it feeds into and find out if there are fish in there. Also, follow it upstream to see if there is known fishing waters higher up. Sometimes there are some hidden gems.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:12 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsalmo56 View Post
Am I missing something??
Quite possibly you are.

Fish it and find out. You might be pleasantly surprised.

While going where I plan to fish for the day, I often get sidetracked into fishing 'thin blue line' streams. In my neck of the woods (NH), they turn out to have trout about three out of four times.

Last year in the fall I finally stopped at a tiny stream I've driven over, biked over, and walked over hundreds of times. Among the fish I caught that day was this guy:

Click the image to open in full size.

So, try it. There's nothing to lose.
theboz likes this.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:13 AM

fishsalmo56 is on a distinguished road

Sweet looking fish! Great looking fall colors!
Ok, I'll give it a try one evening next week. As the saying goes, "a bad of fishing beats a day at the office........" I'd give it a try today, but have to head out for a graduation celebration.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:27 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hurricane Irene wiped out a lot of stream life in central VT
Supposedly most have made a quick comeback, but from some of the devastation that I saw, it's going to take years for things to get back to normal.