The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 11:52 PM

h2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura abouth2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura about
Default Montana to NH in mid August

Hey there,

It looks like I will be traveling from Montana to either north central PA or Meredith, NH (or both) in mid August. I'll have about 2 weeks, with a wedding and other events but I'll pack one of my fly rods. Used to live in northern NH, but what would those in this forum suggest for fishing locations in the area at that time? Not sure that I'll have more than a day free to fish, maybe 2...
Old 05-21-2014, 05:32 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Montana to NH in mid August

You didn't say if you wanted ponds or streams.

Depending on the heat, August can be a little tough.

For streams, you should head high in the mountains. Don't expect to find large trout. You'll most likely be fishing for 6-9" wild trout in those high-mountain streams.

For ponds, look in the NH Fishing Digest for 'Trout Ponds'.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:30 PM

h2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura abouth2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the link! August is warm here too and we are also seeking higher elevation waters. That's part of the attraction don't you think - the changing waters and situations and tactics...
Old 05-25-2014, 08:07 AM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road

I grew up in Meredith.
Cant beat throwing poppers in August for bass and pickerel out of a kayak/canoe on WicWaws or Pemi Lakes..... Talking largemouth bass to 7+ pounds in both lakes. I am here to tell you I have been on more than on "Nantucket Sleigh Ride" in my yak on Pemi Lake.

August is a tough month for trout and salmon ..... but as was mentioned above there are some really fine brook trout waters well north of Meredith..... They sure are gorgeous little fish and very fun on a 2 or 3 wt. The Wild Amnousac and the Peabody are both very cool rivers to explore and get lost on.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestions royalcoach. I was able to book lodging right on Winnepesaukee so after the wedding we are headed back there for, Pemi Pond would be perfect, and not too far. I have an older book that Delorme Maps put out in the 80's called New Hampshire Fishing Maps by Charlton Swasey and Donald Wilson. It has maps of all the major lakes, ponds, rivers with acreage, depths, etc., but of course things change. We fished a number of different places when we lived in NH in the 80's, a bit of bluegill/ pickerel/ bass fishing in the southern half of the state, but mostly trout/ salmon up in the Errol/ Milan area. Great memories of fishing with little poppers on the fly rod for those bluegill and bass!