The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 09:56 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default I know they're stocked. Still...

Maine stocks large trout in some ponds and a few rivers. I wrote about one of those rivers in "A Day in Maine".

I went back with a 2 wt rod and caught a lot of 10-12" brook trout and a bunch of smaller browns. On that same day, I caught one of the 3.5 pounders. Lots of bend in that rod, I can say.

Yesterday, I went back with a 5 wt rod. The only thing that seemed to be working for any fish was nymphing. Not my favorite kind of fishing, but, hey, whatever works.

In the rain and cold of the morning, there was not much action - a few smaller fish.

After lunch, I was a little surprised to find the river empty of fisherman. I immediately caught one of the large trout. These are about 17" and 3.5-4# fish. Then nothing for a couple hours.

Again, things changed quickly and I hooked and lost two of these fish. One just came off the hook. The other broke the tippet.

Like any river with lots of rocks, flies get hung up on the bottom pretty often. So, when I tugged on the line and nothing moved, I assumed I was hung up on the rocks, again.

But, I noticed that where the leader came out of the water it was wiggling back and forth just a bit, so I put more pressure on it and this fish took off downstream.

Click the image to open in full size.

Stocked or not, these things fight. And, they immediately head down to the rocks on the bottom.

It's been a lot of fun pursuing these fish. But, I feel the need to head for the mountains and some wild trout. That's next.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know they're stocked. Still...

Beautiful fish for sure and at that size I bet they can put up a terrific fight, congrats!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold

What a beauty! Sounds like a fun place to fish, stockers or not
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 05-29-2014, 11:34 AM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road

When are we going to see some big wild fish picts from ya ?

Old 05-29-2014, 11:48 AM

4wt is on a distinguished road

What a fish, I don't care if it's stocked!
Old 05-29-2014, 12:45 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcoach View Post
When are we going to see some big wild fish picts from ya ?

As soon as I catch some. Next week, if I get there.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:55 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Hey, that's a niceeee brookie. Nice picture too,,thanks,,I needed the 'pump' tonite !

Mike
Old 05-30-2014, 07:57 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Great fish and I'm just happy that you had a great time. After all, that's all that matters. You don't have to go to far to find GREAT fishing in Maine. Just go into some of the North Maine Woods ponds (Aroostook County) and you can catch plenty wild trout of that size. I'm not saying that it's easy, but with a little research and time, you can catch some great trout. I know of some ponds that have an 18" minimum size limit if you want to take one home. Keep in mind.......these are wild trout.

Good luck,
Dan

PS>>>>>OK, the Aroostook area is a bit north, but that's where you can find the "wilderness" type ponds and great people. You want peace and solitude with great fishing............head north.

Last edited by dharkin; 05-30-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-31-2014, 06:16 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharkin View Post
Just go into some of the North Maine Woods ponds (Aroostook County) and you can catch plenty wild trout of that size. I'm not saying that it's easy, but with a little research and time, you can catch some great trout. I know of some ponds that have an 18" minimum size limit if you want to take one home. Keep in mind.......these are wild trout.

Good luck,
Dan

PS>>>>>OK, the Aroostook area is a bit north, but that's where you can find the "wilderness" type ponds and great people. You want peace and solitude with great fishing............head north.
Jeez, don't publish it
Old 06-01-2014, 04:56 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Sorry, Lost my head for a minute.