The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 03:45 PM

mustardncustard is on a distinguished road
Default Upstate NY Catskills quick question.

I am going to be in Cooks Falls (Roscoe, NY) for about 2 days there is a river behind the house I am going to be at. From what I understand every one fishes for trout using flies. That is fine and all I almost always fish for large mouth bass in fresh water and in the salt I go for Strippers, weakfish, blues and fluke.

My question is can I fish for Trout in this area on a regular rod and if so what do you all recommend using as bait. I have no issues with fly fishing I have never done it before and have very limited time to fish as no one I am going to be with fishes but me. I don't want to tackle something new when I am only going to have a few hours to fish.

If fly is really the only option i will try it. My grandfather when he was older went fly fishing in the Catskills all the time. I have to look but I am pretty sure I have a fly rod. I would love to just fish for Bass but I don't if there are any out there.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:03 PM

lil_ol_angler_me is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Upstate NY Catskills quick question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardncustard View Post
I am going to be in Cooks Falls (Roscoe, NY) for about 2 days there is a river behind the house I am going to be at. From what I understand every one fishes for trout using flies. That is fine and all I almost always fish for large mouth bass in fresh water and in the salt I go for Strippers, weakfish, blues and fluke.

My question is can I fish for Trout in this area on a regular rod and if so what do you all recommend using as bait. I have no issues with fly fishing I have never done it before and have very limited time to fish as no one I am going to be with fishes but me. I don't want to tackle something new when I am only going to have a few hours to fish.

If fly is really the only option i will try it. My grandfather when he was older went fly fishing in the Catskills all the time. I have to look but I am pretty sure I have a fly rod. I would love to just fish for Bass but I don't if there are any out there.
Having fished that area heavily in my youth (20's) the river could be the Beaverkill or the Willowemoc...not sure what the restrictions may be now ( check NY game laws) but I did spin fish there back then...I'd suggest getting some 1/8 oz Rooster Tails and Mepps w/ silver blades and white buck tail and cutting two of the hooks off leaving a single hook as a lot of those type waters have single hook and sometimes barbless restriction, just crimp the barb down and you should be ok also a red and white DareDevel will also do well just swap out the hook for a single

hope you have aa good trip
Old 06-03-2014, 06:30 PM

mustardncustard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Upstate NY Catskills quick question.

Thanks for the reply, I found some meeps trout bait and some rooster tails. The meeps set was missing one, I remember about 4 years ago at a private lake I fish out for bass I decided to go for trout also and caught one, atleast I know the meeps work.