The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 05:24 PM

photoguy will become famous soon enoughphotoguy will become famous soon enough
Default Does a bear really go in the woods? Eastern Mass.

We were out in the Pepperell, MA area the other day and were surprised to find a pretty large quantity of scat in the trail from what was obviously a large animal. It didn't appear to be moose as it was darker and less uniform (we did break it open with a stick) and certainly not the typical pellets. Wasn't horse, at least not any I've seen, and lying as it was in the middle of a trail, there was no evidence of hoof tracks there or anywhere else along the tail...but by the same token we didn't see any other prints either. We didn't spend a lot of time examining it and didn't see berries though it's still early and we didn't see berries growing in the area.

Just wondering if anyone knows if there's bear in the area? And for the record, we did pay a little more attention after that as we made our way to the river and whistled as we walked!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:19 PM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice
Default Re: Does a bear really go in the woods? Eastern Mass.

There are plenty of black bear in the area , more out here in central , saw a sow and cub the other day. You should have taken a picture to post with the question ! How was the fishing ?
Old 06-07-2014, 07:25 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

TTIUWP! milt
Old 06-07-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
There are plenty of black bear in the area , more out here in central , saw a sow and cub the other day. You should have taken a picture to post with the question ! How was the fishing ?
I forgot that my son took a photo...just had him send it to me. Hard to see scale here and this was after we'd poked through it. The base of the droppings are roughly 5-6" across.

and the fishing was great. 3 browns and a big rainbow that looked like he'd been eating the stocked fish.

Click the image to open in full size.
milt spawn and itchmesir like this.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've seen a good deal of bear poop and that isn't from a bear or if so I've never seen any like that. Generally a bear will leave a pile that will be of a fairly viscous sort of stool. That could be from a bear that has been eating nothing but roots and tubers at this time of year given that you can see undigested plant matter within it but........ it is still very tight for bear droppings.
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-07-2014, 08:17 PM

^ Appreciate the insight. We honestly didn't know and it was just a wild guess as we couldn't think of any other animal large enough to make this other than a horse or moose and it didn't appear to be either of those.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Ard, that definitely isn't from a bear, looks more like a horse to me. A moose has smaller pellets that look a little like a football type shape.
grtlksmarlin likes this.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:36 PM

Could be, but I've never seen a horse that looks lke this and have seen a lot of horsht

Also, there was plenty of relatively soft dirt in the area and no sign of hoof prints. (we did look).

And this photo is after we broke it apart...before that the 2 larger pieces were essentially one...kind of soft serve ice cream shaped with the smaller droppings near it.

Guess it will just be a mystery for me. <and I'll continue to whistle while I walk>

Was reminded of this:

Click the image to open in full size.
fredaevans and milt spawn like this.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:00 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

How can you not "like" a picture of poo? milt
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:17 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

Could be from a bear, you have to remember bears in this area do a lot of dumpster diving and raid local bird feeders. Did you see bird seed ?

My first guess was a horse , but you saw no track , local horsey people do a lot of trail riding , perhaps the horse wasn't shoed ? or a small horse w/o a rider ..........

It wasn't me ! I go off the trail into the woods a bit ............

My vote is with Ard , I say a horse/pony
Hardyreels likes this.