The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By waterfordcreek
  • 3 Post By moucheur2003
  • 5 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By woodrivertroutbum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2015, 02:34 AM

waterfordcreek is just really nicewaterfordcreek is just really nicewaterfordcreek is just really nicewaterfordcreek is just really nice
Default Thinking about a move to Newport!

From the research I have done. Seems like a no brainer!

What should I know...?

Any enviro issues with the bay??

Striper pop. healthy??

Fly shops??....Seems like most are B&T with some fly.

Seems like both Rhode Island and Ct have a good amount of small, wild trout streams......no??

I have been in Colorado a year. Although...the fishing is amazing. Personally...I love it here. I just cant invest opening operations in an area with severe Economic and social issues.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:21 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about a move to Newport!

The striped bass population is down 75% from 10+ years ago so the dedicated saltwater fly shops that are still around have had to adjust.
Surf casting will always be the name of the game but that shop in Newport is still "fly at heart" (expensive )

Narragansett Bay is as healthy as you could expect a bay to be with 400 miles of urban and semi-urban coastline. I have no problem fishing or swimming in the upper bay. Just a few years back, I was kayak fishing the upper bay nearly every day in season.
Before moving to eastern CT, I lived in the Providence area quite a few years and even then would usually travel to CT for my trout fishing but for the salt, the RI shore is far superior.
I was down South County yesterday.

Here's my friend Bruce with a RI albie from just about a year ago
While the striper population is "down", they're certainly not "out" and there's still plenty of reasons to fish.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:46 AM

waterfordcreek is just really nicewaterfordcreek is just really nicewaterfordcreek is just really nicewaterfordcreek is just really nice

VERY cool rip......Thank you.

75% is quite a drop.

Yeah, thinking I am going to pull the trigger.

Better enviroment for my businesses and personal life.

I saw on an earlier post, you mentioning the Cape Cod League!! Another draw. I scout a little and still love to coach.
GrtLksMarlin likes this.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:25 AM

moucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to behold

There have been peaks and crashes in both the striped bass and bluefish populations in the past. Let's hope this is just another natural cycle that will recover.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:27 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
There have been peaks and crashes in both the striped bass and bluefish populations in the past. Let's hope this is just another natural cycle that will recover.
The striper population recovered from the '80s crash due to a moratorium on their harvest.
There's a strong push now for stricter bag limits, but the commercial fishermen and charter industry are doing all they can to block it.

Bluefish seem to fill the void when there's few stripers around.
I always hear guys complain about the blues, mostly the eel slingers, as they will rip right through expensive bait and tackle, but I love them.
They're big, mean brawlers that kill for fun, not just for food. Catch a big one on a fly and you have your hands full. Just keep your fingers out of the way 'cuz they will bite you out of spite.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:22 AM

https://www.stripersforever.org/stri...o-date-report/

Quote:
In a few words, the striper fishery can be summed up as inconsistent at best and continuing to trend downward.
Quote:
.....the fact that I caught one striper over 20 lbs. this year as compared to 125 over 20 lbs in 2011 about sums it up. For me this was the worse it has been in about 30 years.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:23 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

That shop in Newport has very reasonable prices, sometimes even less than you can find online. They are primarily surfcasting these days but the guys that are there full time love to fly fish. Fly tying nights will start on Thursdays soon.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Striper fishing was awesome up until these past couple storms mixed things up.
waterfordcreek likes this.