Adirondacks fly fishing suggestions

802flyfish

Reaction score
Hoping to make a trip by mid June. Anyone have suggestions for spots? I'll have a fishing kayak so I'm hoping that opens up some possibilities. Please free to pm me. My house is only an hour and a half away so it's not a bad drive at all. Really hoping to expire the Adirondacks a little this summer.

flytie09

Reaction score
The Adirondacks is a broad area. It's as large as Vermont so it's hard to pinpoint an area. A couple ideas:

- Moose River in Old Forge
- Ausable River in Lake Placid
- tons of smaller brook trout streams everywhere
- tons of ponds with trout just about everywhere

I didn't fish up there a ton, but I know if there's water.... There's trout. Just know it's bug central. Black flys in spring, mosquitos in summer and dreaded horse and deer flys in mid/late summer. Dress accordingly and wear a bug head net.

ft09

nickj

Reaction score
I just returned home from a successful week fishing West Canada Creek. Gray Caddis was the preferred menu.

natsmoker

Reaction score
I am going to be up that way in Early August. Going to try the Cedar River and Indian River. Will post if I have any success. Even if I don't catch trout the area is so beautiful and remote. Last year I caught several small bass on a spinner hiking along the Indian River but this will be my first stab at fly fishing in the Adirondaks.