The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By Ard
  • 1 Post By photoguy
  • 2 Post By photoguy
  • 2 Post By Ard
  • 2 Post By Rip Tide
  • 2 Post By photoguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 AM

photoguy has a spectacular aura aboutphotoguy has a spectacular aura aboutphotoguy has a spectacular aura about
Default Moosehead lake/Kennebec River guide recommendations?

Hi All...planning a trip in early June to the Moosehead Lake Maine area. It will be our first trip there. Thinking of doing a drift boat for day one and hopefully picking up a tip or 2 for wading on the second day. Anybody have any experiences with the drift boat guys that would care to make a recommendation of offer any advice?
Much appreciated!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:16 PM

dharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moosehead lake/Kennebec River guide recommendations?

I'm sure RipTide will have plenty of good info for you but take a look at the Maine Guide Fly shop. My buddy says they are the best in the area.

https://maineguideflyshop.com/

Take care,
Dan
Old 04-21-2017, 01:31 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know anything about guides, but I remember hearing some talk about one guide that a more than a few people mentioned you should stay well away from

It wasn't someone from the Maine Guide shop
Old 04-21-2017, 02:07 PM

photoguy has a spectacular aura aboutphotoguy has a spectacular aura aboutphotoguy has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the input fellas. I've got a call into the shop-
Old 04-21-2017, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

I used to go up there every year but we are talking history when the dates come into play. The only people I met that do a business there and have been for a long time ran Casey's Camps at Spencer Bay. He had a young guy who worked for him named Scotty and they may still be in business. Google will answer that quickly, I didn't use them as guides but visited the place on 2 different years. I suggest them because they have been there since the 70's, if they don't know what's happening then I don't know who would.

Wading tip; the Kennebec is one of the slickest rivers I ever walked in, being an outflow there is a lot of algae on the rocks so use cleats and carry a staff. The last time I fished it was 94 and at the time is was producing more land locks than the Moose or West Branch, they weren't huge but were plentiful. Were I to be going back to Maine I'd probably go there based on the last experience.
mcnerney, k_e_v and photoguy like this.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-21-2017, 03:19 PM

Thanks Ard!
Ard likes this.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:36 PM

Just for future reference...we had a great 3 days in the Moosehead area. Fished the East Outlet on a drift boat. Guide and boat came from the cabins we stayed at -http://www.wilsonsonmooseheadlake.com/guide-services/fishing

It was a fun day on the water and my first in a drift boat. Boy, does a boat make fishing easy!

Day 2 we waded the Roach River on the other side of the lake. A bunch of salmon and Brook Trout made the day. No shortage of black flies and mosquitos but the spray kept them at bay.

All in all, a great trip
Ard and mcnerney like this.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

So good to hear that the mouth of Roach River had fish! The first time I was ever there was 1980, back then the river got so many land locked salmon you could literally catch 20 or more in a day swinging streamers. The fishing went on like that for many years but I was concerned about the 3 fish a day limit and the number of people I saw taking way more than that. In 1987 I made my last every year trip and although numbers were down I still had good fishing. So, between fall of 1987 and 1994 when I returned there had been a crash in the Roach fishery.

That year 1994, I took a buddy who had never been free to go during my 1980's trips but who had also seen the pictures and listened to the stories of hauling in 3 - 5 pound fish all day every day.................. There were virtually no fish present in the Roach and there were no fishermen either. I've written about this before on replies here, the state had a small pavilion at the trail head that leads downriver to the Wardens Pool. There under the roof there were forms they were requesting you to fill out. The form was a 'creel report' there was no retention but they wanted to know the following: Did anyone in your party catch a salmon? Did you believe you had hooked & lost a salmon? Did anyone in your party see and identify a salmon? Lastly had anyone caught any brook trout?

That was sobering taken into consideration the fantastic fishing I had experienced just 14 years prior. That is why I opened this comment saying it is great to hear there were salmon at or in the lower river and estuary.

Beautiful country isn't it? If ever you travel The Golden Road over to Millinocket you'll pass The Ragged River. That was another favorite of mine as well as the Moose, Kennebec and the West Branch.
mcnerney and photoguy like this.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-12-2017, 09:21 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the East Outlet on Friday. Too many CFS's for this old guy to wade. Didn't even try.
There were actually more guys fishing both the West Outlet and the Brassua tailwater which surprised me.
We went back to our ponds and float tubes
Ard and photoguy like this.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:28 AM

It really was beautiful country, my first trip there and will definitely be back. Saw moose/deer/mink/in addition to fish and lots of other ff's on Friday but we were in a boat from the dam to Indian Pond with a nice bbq steak/wine lunch in-between...livin' large

Flow on the Roach was down we were told, but the fishing was still good. Right at the dam we came up with a few salmon each on purple and white streamers then we waded the rest of the day and saw a bunch of good sized Brookies on caddis and soft hackle. I was a little surprised how few other fishermen we saw on the river, it seems we had it all to ourselves despite it being a weekend and beautiful weather. Maybe the low flow or the black flies had sent people elsewhere?

Click the image to open in full size.
Ard and Rip Tide like this.