The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Northeast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/)
-   -   Ellis River, NH (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/4088-ellis-river-nh.html)

sesro1978 04-29-2008 11:38 AM

Ellis River, NH

Hi-

Anyone know when in June is a good time to hit the Ellis River in NH? Also, what patterns should I be tying up to take with me?

Thanks!

FlyGal 04-29-2008 09:51 PM

Re: Ellis River, NH

Anytime in June is great...

BWO - size 18, Yellow sulfers-14, yellow sally12-14, cinnamon ants
16-18...Make sure you have an array of ants in black as well. Size 14 whitefly & PMD and small 16-14 elk hair caddis.

under the water:
size 10 wollies, BWO, golden stone flies, caddis, prince nymph, all white marabou streamer with silver body - 10....

sesro1978 04-30-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyGal (Post 27492)
Anytime in June is great...

BWO - size 18, Yellow sulfers-14, yellow sally12-14, cinnamon ants
16-18...Make sure you have an array of ants in black as well. Size 14 whitefly & PMD and small 16-14 elk hair caddis.

under the water:
size 10 wollies, BWO, golden stone flies, caddis, prince nymph, all white marabou streamer with silver body - 10....

Thanks!!

I caught one of the largest rainbows I've caught thus far in that river a few years ago in the big pool under the bridge outside of town. Took a number 18 sulfur parachute on about 25' of line. During the fight my reel handle fell off into the water and I basically had to "reel" the fish in with the rim on the reel... After it was all said in done, the fish ended up being upwards of 22" (not sure of the weight but it felt/looked very hefty).

I've been looking for a good golden stone pattern; know of any?

Thanks again!

~Seth

FlyGal 04-30-2008 04:42 PM

You won't be seeing any big fish in that stretch (unless they stock them this year), for two years in a row they have dropped the dam and the river gets to 8ft wide and the birds prey on the fish in such skinny water.

They did it last fall before the season closed :mad:

Totally Sucks!!! I, as you, enjoyed those 22-28" bows that were beautiful holdovers for a couple of years.

If I want big fish, I go to the Androscoggin river 20 miles north.

As for golden stones I don't have a specific pattern, color is more important. Not to dark, better to stay on the lighter side.

The Ellis is my home waters...:icon_smil

sesro1978 04-30-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyGal (Post 27537)
You won't be seeing any big fish in that stretch (unless they stock them this year), for two years in a row they have dropped the dam and the river gets to 8ft wide and the birds prey on the fish in such skinny water.

They did it last fall before the season closed :mad:

Totally Sucks!!! I, as you, enjoyed those 22-28" bows that were beautiful holdovers for a couple of years.

If I want big fish, I go to the Androscoggin river 20 miles north.

As for golden stones I don't have a specific pattern, color is more important. Not to dark, better to stay on the lighter side.

The Ellis is my home waters...:icon_smil

I'm so sorry to hear that; it was (is probably somewhere) such a good fishery! Yea, I'm in agreement; it does suck! :0(

~Seth