The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 11:23 PM

deathmetalbowyer is on a distinguished road
Default Can anyone help out a fly-fishing-sailor in connecticut?

hey everyone i live in groton connecticut right now, and ive been fishing here for about 8 months...im originally from ohio and we dont have trout up there. So ive been trying my heart out to catch a trout... i was wondering if there were some places to go and try or any tips on how to get to some places or just on trout fishing in general. i thank you for all your help and maybe ill see ya on the water somtime.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:56 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Can anyone help out a fly-fishing-sailor in connecticut?

Hey we got trout here!!! Hahah ok so Buckeye troutin aint the best but theres a few ditches with a decent tug or two hiding in the currents. Not to mention some of the best steelheading east of the Mississippi! OUt there in CT all I've fished were the Housatonic and Farmington Rivers. One option is to check out the Trout Unlimited pages in your area,it might give you a few more options. I have heard of some of the coastal creeks and streams having small populations of sea run browns and bows not true searuns but stockers that swim out in the salt for a while and come back.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey deathmetalbowyer- welcome to the forum. Keep asking questions and make yourself at home here. WT gave you good info.

As he said, the 2 most famous CT trout streams are the Farmington and Housatonic, but you can also find more info from the Angler’s Guide from the CT DEP. Here’s a link, Part 3 has a bunch of info on Streams and Rivers:
DEP: Angler's Guide

Here's an overview of the Farmington in North Central CT Fly Fishing the Farmington River in Connecticut
Fly shop Upcountry Sportfishing in New Hartford, CT is a great shop

Housatonic in Western CT (good fly shop Housatonic Outfitters in Cornwall Bridge CT)
Fly Fishing the Housatonic River in Connecticut

And Wt gave you great advice about looking into a local fly fishing group--- Trout Unlimited Chapters and clubs affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers have casting clinics . group trips to local waters, tying classes, and informative meetings- and you’ll probably meet a few new fishing buddies and it'll really jump start your learning curve.

TU chapter search:
Council/Chapter Contacts | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

FFF affiliated club search:
Locate a Club

And since you’re in Groton, don’t overlook saltwater- now and through the rest of the fall is a great time for stripers and blues.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:18 AM

wow guys thanx for the quick replies, and great info... just the amount u gave me helps alot. thanx again
Old 09-28-2010, 07:13 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Forget trout ...it's albie/blues/striper season
I'll be fishing right there in Groton today if the wind is not howling. If not I'll be close. Either up river above the sub base or over in Westerly RI
The lower Thames is alive with blues and false albacore have moved into Fishers Island Sound. With this SW wind the beaches of RI should be good for stripers on a rising tide..

If it needs to be trout, the state is stocking the "trout parks", Trout Management Areas (TMAs) and a few of the other larger streams and ponds right now before the Columbus weekend. The closest TMAs are the Moosup in Central Village and the Hammonasset above the state park beach. A nice trout park is on the Natchaug, Rt 195 north of Willimantic.

Closer to you try the Shetucket River between Scotland and Baltic, just north of Norwich. On top of the trout they'll be stocking surplus broodstock Atlantic salmon sometime before Thanksgiving and again before Christmas
There's also a tiny 'fly only' pond just east of Foxwoods... you can find it

Last edited by Rip Tide; 09-28-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:35 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Turns out that the wind is howling big time and I missed the tide
I'm going smallmouth fishing here in town. It's good to have options.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:36 PM

hey riptide do u fish from a boat for those salties? if you do, would u be willing to work out some kinda deal to take me out fishing with ya?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:11 PM

Sometimes I kayak, mostly I wade. Depends on where and what for.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:30 PM

well hey man i know this is really all of a sudden, but i just need to get out and get to know some people. i dont know were to fish nor how to fish for em(local species). My fishing buddies who i fished with all the time are gone now experiencing the glory of georgia and all its redfish glory and junk. So im stuck here....with ohio fishing experience in a atlantic setting.....truly i am lost. I really need some help.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

by the way ive been fishing the shetuckett river for like a week now and all ive been getting is smallmouth and some kinda creek chub thing....though not complaining....least im catching fish
Old 09-28-2010, 02:54 PM

I only get to fish on crappy days (like today) when I'm "off" and when I work it's 24/7.

What Mark said about joining a club is a good idea.

Here's the local TU website
They meet in Bozrah which is west of Norwich
Trout Unlimited

The CT/RI Coastal Fly Fishers meet a bit closer in Mystic
CTRI Coastal Fly Fishers

I belong to the CT Flyfishermen's Association which meets in East Hartford.
Unfortunately I never get to go to the meetings and they don't seem to update their website often either
Home | CFFA