The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 01:05 PM

tjc is on a distinguished road
Default Lake Erie Steelhead

I have been holding out, on my trip to fly fish the tributaries of Lake Erie near the western part of the state to get some rain. I have been to the Cat. and Chatauqua Creek for several years each fall to fly fish for steelhead trout. I use an 8wt-9ft. rod with a floating double taper line with apropriate tipet. The more I think about it I'm wondering about the line and if its the proper type to use on medium size creeks. I usually fish with egg patterns, crystal meth, and eggsucking leaches. Nymphs don't work for me. Can anyone suggest if I'm using the right line or not? I'm going next week because the rain has come and the fish should be making their way up the streams.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Lake Erie Steelhead

Has the set-up you described been workng for you? If you're having trouble casting weight, go with a WF. I like the Rio Clouser line I have, it works well for tossing indi rigs.

Dan
Old 11-18-2010, 08:06 PM

Hi Dan, yes the floating double taper works. I just thought maybe something else might be a little smoother or help sink the drift quicker. I have to use split shot to get the fly near the bottom of the run or seam and sometimes depending on the water flo-rate I need a lot of weight. If you think WF Rio Clouser is good I can load a reel with it. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:09 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc View Post
Hi Dan, yes the floating double taper works. I just thought maybe something else might be a little smoother or help sink the drift quicker. I have to use split shot to get the fly near the bottom of the run or seam and sometimes depending on the water flo-rate I need a lot of weight. If you think WF Rio Clouser is good I can load a reel with it. Thanks for the help.
TJC, before you go and buy a new line look at your leader. You mentioned "an appropriate tippet", how long a leader are you using? Are you using a standard tapered leader? The leaders I use for Steelhead aren't typical in the way they're built. I use a two fly rig combo with a nymph and egg usually on the smaller waters. The bulk of my leader will be 2 or 3 x flouro to help get the rig down quickly. Take a look at John Nagy's book for some good leader formulas...

Dan
Old 11-19-2010, 11:27 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

If the waters on Erie(Pa. side) are stained I will use 2x Maxima. If they run clear, I go down to 4x or even 5x(mostly this year.) Thinner line, faster sink rate. I also use split shot to get me down quicker
Old 11-19-2010, 10:10 PM

I use a 2x, 9ft, tapered leader, but they are expensive and after a few fly changes to get a color to work and a couple of break offs, I begin to use a surgeons knot and add leader to keep my length around 9ft. I try to maintain 7-8 lb wt flouracarbon rig'. I use about two tapers a day and modify.

In new york streams you are not allowed to use two flies to fish for steelhead.

I'd be afraid to use a 4, or 5x and loose more fish to breakoffs.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:31 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you mean lake run Rainbow Trout? Check out the video that I put in the humor section.

Great Lakes Guy v Pacific Northwest Guy

MP
Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 PM

Red face Re: Lake Erie Steelhead

Ha ha, I really am not that well read on Lake run steelhead vs rainbow trout, but I do enjoy catching a 27" to 31" on a flyrod in a stream. I've done Alaska Silver Salmon and Char with a flyrod and I'll take the Great Lakes run Steelhead every time.
We are all not lucky enough to live in the North West.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:00 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen people get so emotional over the lake run Rainbow vs Steelhead debate that it's funny. One of these days I'd like to give the Great Lakes lake run Rainbows.... errr... Steelhead a try.

MP
Old 11-21-2010, 07:00 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

That video was a classic. I laughed good over that. Hmmmm....all these years I called them steelhead . hahahahahahaha