The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 PM

paulm is on a distinguished road
Default Introduction

Hi All,

Just joined up and waiting for the ice to leave. I used to do a lot of fly-fishing, tying, and rod building, but kids and sports, WORK, and Town Boards had me change direction. But that was back when “Cortland Pro Shops” where running strong. Yah, that was over 30 years ago.

Start of the winter, I took stock of my gear and found minimum damage from the moths, tippets still good, fly line in good shape, except for one, 4 reels just needing some fresh lube, and only one rod needing minor repair. Plus one rod that was only half done.

In preparation for this year I have finished the partially done rod, built another “pack rod” and a 12 ½ ft Spey rod for 6 weight line.(Spey casting just looks like a lot of fun!!) Organized my fly tying stuff into 2 portable chests that now sit 3 feet from my work station.

Now just as soon as the “black flies” and Mosquitoes’’ arrive, I will start looking for some fish. My first choice is Brook Trout, not that they get big or fight real well, I just enjoy being where they live.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:20 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Introduction

Amen to that! Welcome.

Marc.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum and fly fishing! Looking forward to your posts.

Larry
Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! Maybe we can get a Brookie Swap going in the near future.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Paul-

Welcome to the board, those brookies are great, and those colors are like an artist's dream. Since you're in E. MA, do you chase "salters" (sea run brook trout) too?

Mark
Old 02-24-2009, 06:47 PM

paulm is on a distinguished road

Mark,
Nope, never gone after sea run trout. Have tried Shad a couple of times, but just caught Herring and the damn eels. Eels I found best to just cut the foul creatures loose!

I seem to favor small water with lots of pools and mini falls, and of course the biting bugs.