The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 03:27 PM

Jfish is on a distinguished road
Default New Guy

Hey guys, I'm Justin from NY. I have never fly fished, but I have always wanted to. So I'm here to learn right now.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Guy

Hey Justin, welcome to the board. Where are you in NY (I'm on LI)?

Lot's of helpful folks here so ask away if you have questions and feel free to jump in on discussions.

Regards,

Mark
Old 03-06-2009, 09:00 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the board! Have you gotten a rod and reel yet? What kind of fish do you have nearby?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Justin,

Welcome to the forum. I think you have came to the right place for a beginner. We have members at all skill levels. Have fun and keep us posted with your progress. Do you have any gear yet?

Frank
Old 03-19-2009, 03:19 PM

Jfish is on a distinguished road

well i live on long island as well. i don't have any of my own equipment yet... i usually go fishing with my friends in east hampton or montauk during the summer. there are bluefish or other small fish. we didn't get to go out on a boat, but if you do, there are nice stripers.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of FF clubs on LI . Joining one is a great way to get up to speed.

Salty flyrodders if youíre in western Nassau these guys meet in the Queens Botanical Gardens http://www.saltyflyrodders.org/

LI Fly fishers (meet in Hicksville) Long Island Flyrodders

Eastern Flyrodders (meet in Riverhead) Eastern Flyrodders - Saltwater Fly Fishing - Long Island New York

North Shore Fly rodders (Huntington) all I have is a cell phone number from a member, but I donít want to post it on an open forum. PM me if you want it.

Now would also be a good time to get night parking permit or a four wheel drive beach permit for access to fishing spots in NYS Parks (Jones, Robert Moses, Montauk, Sunken Meadow etc. ) The permits are given out until the end of April, then they stop giving them out until after Labor Day.
The night parking permit will allow you to park in designated lots after dark. The beach permit gives you access to certain stretches of beach (note requirements for gear and airing down) and also gives you the same privileges as the night parking permit (you donít need both if you have the beach permit). These permits will give you access to exceptional fishing.

For more info on NYS permits call the Robert Moses State Park Office:
(631) 669-0449

There are also beach permits for Suffolk County and east end town beaches:

Suffolk County Parks, Recreation and Conservation
Beach fishing, small boat launching, 4-wheel-drive beach permits
General Information: (631) 854-4949

Suffolk Towns:
Town of East Hampton
Beach fishing, small boat launching, 4-wheel-drive beach permits
Bay Constable: (631) 329-3078

Town of Southampton
Beach, pier fishing, small boat launching, 4-wheel-drive beach permits
Parks and Recreation: (631) 283-6011

For SW fly fishing on Long Island, a nine weight rod, a weight forward floating or intermediate fly line, a basic SW reel that can hold 150 yds of 20lb backing, a shooting basket (you can use a rubbermaid dish pan and shock cord with hooks), waders and an assortment of some basic flies (clousers and deceivers) and youíre good to go.

Once the water temps reach 50 degrees (late April beginning of May) the fishing will hopefully bust open as fish migrate up the coast, and should last through June. During the summer itís mostly a night time thing for big bass. Back bays and inlets along the south shore, boulder fields and coves along the north shore and north fork, and points along any coastline are prime spots.

Put your time in and youíll hook up.

mark
Old 04-18-2009, 03:56 PM

dryflywaters will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the discussions. I just joined a while back and there are great discussions and topics here to help get you started.
http://dryflywaters.com/