The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 PM

CoolCast is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CoolCast
Default Looking for a place

I have just started fly fishing and am looking for a place to try out some of the things I've read and my new gear. I live in the Buffalo area and dont know where to start looking. I dont want to know anyones secret places just a general body of water to look at. Are there any shops devoted to this around here? Thanks for the help...
Old 04-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a place

Coolcast-

I’ve never used them, but the guys at the Oak Orchard Fly Shop in Williamsville have an excellent reputation and they should be close to you. They specialize in steelheading on Western NY streams, but are pretty wired in to all the fly fishing opportunities in the area, including smallmouth and trout etc. They offer guided trips, but also have beginner –on the water instruction that might be a great investment to put it all together for you (100 bucks for a ½ day. 200 for a full day). Having someone actually spend some time pointing out where fish hold, how to mend line, how to rig up etc, would be a great way to get started.
The Oak Orchard Fly Shop provides the finest products for fly fishing. - Oak Orchard Fly Shop

Another way to jump start your FF is to join a Trout Unlimited chapter of Federation of Fly Fishers affiliated club. These groups can offer a lot to someone just starting out- casting clinics, advice on gear, techniques and where to go, and group trips to local waters. Here’s some searches to find

one near you for TU:
Council/Chapter Search | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

and for FFF:
Locate a Club

As far as where to fish, the NY Dept of Environmental Conservation should be a very good resource for you. This page has a bunch of links:
Fishing - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

On the above page of the DEC site there are links to:

“where to fish” clicking on this link will take you to a bunch of links to different parts of the state. The “Western NY “ link will take you to more links on wild trout streams, ponds and lakes, steelhead streams, a list of warm water streams (for bass and panfish), and a list of stocking waters. For many streams it will also include public access sites, (and all streams with public access have maps available in pdf format).

“fish stocking” showing what waters are due to be stocked in Spring 2009 and what waters have received stocking in the past.

A good way to start is to find a pond and go after some bluegills. They usually aren’t too picky, and it’s a good way to get some action- you may also pick up some bass too.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:39 PM

mikeo will become famous soon enough

Just across the border -- well almost just across the border is Grindstone Anglers, Ontario Fly Shop - Grindstone, in Waterdown just outside Hamilton -- excellent shop and has great beginners instruction packages -- at Can $ too (about CAN $ is about $.75US so could be worth trip over the border) -- this Saturday they offer a Trout Season Primer From the Grindstone Angling newsletter:

Saturday April 11th Is the 15th annual Trout Primer Open House. We have much in store for the day including Steelhead seminars by Rob Heal, A BBQ hosted by the staff of Grindstone Angling, Trout unlimited will be on hand for discussions on the enhancement of Bronte Creek. Casting tune ups with Bill Spicer of the New Flyfisher T.V. show. Reps from Sage, Simms, Loomis, and Ross Reels. Fly-tying and much more for the day.

Also check out Canadian Fly Fishing Forum in Burlington April 18-19/09 -- great beginners seminars plus beginner casting workshop -- http://www.iwffc.com/pdf/2009_CFFF.pdf
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach
Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 PM

CoolCast is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CoolCast

Thanks for the tips I live about 5 minutes from that oak river place. For a couple hundred dollars I could get a beginners class for a day using all there equipment might do it but with my rod/reel.