The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Northeast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/)
-   -   Northern Upstate NY streams (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/9124-northern-upstate-ny-streams.html)

pennstatepitt 04-25-2009 07:21 PM

Northern Upstate NY streams

Hey everyone,
I'm a college student and will be living in Potsdam, NY for the summer due to my summer job. I was hoping that I could get some stream recommendations for this area. I have a little knowledge of the area, but not a whole lot. I've been doing a little research and it looks to be promising, but I wanted to get the info from the 'horse's' mouth. I've been fly fishing for a couple of years now, but I'm still at a fairly beginner's level because I haven't been able to fish much, but I'd like to do a lot of fishing this summer. Thanks for any help.

peregrines 04-26-2009 11:42 AM

Re: Northern Upstate NY streams

Hopefully some upstaters will weight in too, but if not your best bet is to find a local fly shop for info. A lot of them are fast dissappearing, but one place to check out is Wear on Earth in Potsdam. It's more of an outdoor store than a fly shop, but they can probably put you in touch with Tim Damon. He makes custom fly rods, and is extremely knowledgeable about the fishing in the area. WOE HOME

In the mean time, here’s a link to the NYS DEC fishing web page—there are hot links to “places to fish” with access maps of trout streams, lake contour data etc by area of the state, Fishing reports, and stocking info. There is also contact info for regional DEC fisheries staff
Fishing - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

St Regis- browns and rainbows (Hendrickson hatch should be starting soon and go thru end of May)
Grass- smallmouth, pike, muskies, salmon some stocked trout
Plumb Brook some stocked trout, as well as smallmouth
Black River- steelhead and salmon, and Salmon River etc further south.Steelhead should still be happening now. Salmon and lake run Brown trout in fall mid Sept-Oct, steelhead Oct- spring
West Canada Creek- excellent trout fishing

There can also be exceptional fishing this time of year for landlock salmon in the Boquet, Saranac, and Ausable Rivers, and again in the fall. They run out of the lakes and swinging bright streamers can be very effective.

Outdoor Recreation in St. Lawrence County, New York State (NY) :: St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce

You might also want to look into a local TU chapter near you:
Council/Chapter Search | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

I’d also look into the Cranberry Lake Region for an overnight canoe camping expedition in search of wild brook trout, and other opportunities. Just get an update on blackflies first... There are a lot of canoe rental places, but these guys are great and operate a bunch of jumping off outposts into the St Regis Wilderness, Tupper lake etc. and you can do day trips too for smallmouth etc:
Introduction to Canoeing,New York Canoeing & Kayaking through the Adirondack Wild

Good luck!

mark