The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Northeast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/)
-   -   Flies for RI trout - beginner (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/9381-flies-ri-trout-beginner.html)

jayodonn 05-11-2009 10:25 AM

Flies for RI trout - beginner

Hi All. I started out here last year with questions for saltwater fly fishing. I bought some gear, tried it and quickly became addicted! I logged 37 fish last year with majority being stripers, a few blues and a few accidental fluke. This year I want to try trout. I'm not sure I'll like it to be honest, I'm not drawn to FW the way I am to the ocean. Still, I got a used 5/6wt for almost no money just to see what all the fuss is about. :icon_smil

What would be your recommdation for a handful of flies that I could tie and give it a go?

Rip Tide 05-11-2009 11:24 AM

Re: Flies for RI trout - beginner

Hey Jay
Trout fishing just doesn't have the same attraction after you've caught a few stripers and blues on the fly.... fish that could eat trout for breakfast.
:frogdance:
I live in CT ... 3 miles out of Foster
Good FW flies depends on where your going to fish.
In local streams I fish the Hendrickson hatch this time of season, then move on to another river to fish the Alder fly hatch, the main hatch there, then in a couple of weeks fish sulfers in a third river.
After that....no more trout for me 'till fall.. the salt is too attractive.
I haven't fished the Wood R. in 25 years so I don't remember what kind of hatches are specific there, but most area streams follow the same pattern
Large, dark shaded flies early are gradually replaced by smaller light colored flies..with mayflies anyways. Caddis don't necessarily follow the same rules

google a hatch chart for our area... you'll see what I mean

mcnerney 05-11-2009 03:47 PM

Blackstone Fly Co has a Wood River Hatch Chart that also recommends flies, you might take a look at that for some useful info:
Untitled Document

Larry

swirlchaser 05-11-2009 07:35 PM

If I can make a recommendation, take that 5WT and catch a few largemouth bass with it. I started fishing LMB with the flyrod 2 months ago while I waited for the saltwater to heat up. I had a great time with them.
don't mean to take you away from Trout. I've actually never caught a trout so I can't comment on it but the LMG are a blast on my 5WT.

jayodonn 05-12-2009 07:32 AM

Any fly recommendations for 5wt LMB fishing?

swirlchaser 05-12-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayodonn (Post 59583)
Any fly recommendations for 5wt LMB fishing?

Wooly buggers, crystal buggers, small rabbit fur clousers, and foam frogs (as big as your 5WT will let you throw)

Merlin 05-14-2009 03:48 PM

I agree Wooly Buggers in black and olive this time of year.