The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 12:10 PM

MCurran is on a distinguished road
Default North Central Ma

I live in the Fitchburg Ma area and was wondering if any one knew of any places around here that would be good fly fishing. I am new to to the sport but have gone a couple times up in the Middlebury Vt area when on vacation and was hoping to find some places near the house to be able to try. Any information that you would be able to provide would be great. Thank in advance for all your help.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Central Ma

MCurran: Do you have a fly shop in town or nearby? If so I would stop by as they would be a good source for information. If there is a fly shop nearby also ask about fly fishing clubs. I looked on the Trout Unlimited web site and didn't find a local chapter near you. If you Google "Fly fishing MA" there seems to be a lot of information, you might want to look through.

Maybe other members will respond with local knowledge of the area. Good luck.

Larry
Old 05-18-2009, 04:16 PM

MCurran is on a distinguished road

Larry,

Thank you for your help I will do just that.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 05-18-2009, 04:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's the Miller's...over toward Athol
That's the only one I know that's close to you
I was at the Deerfield last week, even further out Rt 2.... that's a real nice river
It's a bit of a drive but worth it. A lot closer for you than it was for me though
http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/deerfieldneff.html
The Swift is at the bottom end of Quabbin, that's a drive too, but it's tailwater. It stays at an optimum temperature summer and winter. Very popular, not very long.
I'm sure that there's other, smaller streams closer, I just don't know what they are
Old 05-28-2009, 08:08 AM

Aljack is on a distinguished road

As mentioned, the Millers River is not too far down the road from you, maybe 30 miles west on Rt 2. There are 2 C&R sections, one starting in South Royalston and the other in Wendell. Closer, but alot smaller rivers, would be the Nissitissit in Pepperell, the Squanacook in Townsend. The Quinapoxet River in Holden should be less than 30 minutes from you. There's a fly shop in Pepperell called the Evening Sun Fly Shop run by Charley Shadan who is pretty knowledgable and helpful Evening Sun Fly Shop - northern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire - Fly fishing & fly tying supplies, equipment, and instruction

The Swift River is about +1 hour from you, 1 1/2 hrs max, in reference to the FFO section below the Windsor Dam on the Quabbin. That section is out of sorts so far this season. This is usually a bottom release from the dam, making and keeping the river very cool in the hottest months (and also fishable in the winter). This outflow, refered to as "The Bubbler", used to be a hydropower station. There is a reported valve problem in the station and it has been shut down. All water has been coming from the top of the Quabbin, which could lead to some temp issues later. Also, there's less control of the water flow and it has been running higher and faster than normal. It's fishable now, but not at it's best. When it is good, this place crowds up on wknds and all evenings. There are some feeder steams into the Quabbin I haven't fished, the East Branch of the Swift River for one, and there are others. The Millers River starts in Winchendon (spelling?) and also has some feeder streams into it.