The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (
-   Northeast (
-   -   Need fishing buddy in Hudson Valley NY (

AllenC 06-09-2009 08:10 PM

Need fishing buddy in Hudson Valley NY
Hey all. I am pretty new to fly fishing. I have the basics down: form, types and varieties of line and different types of bugs. Only problem is, I do not know where the hot spots are. So I guess I am looking for someone to show me the ropes a bit. Look forward to hearing back.

Walter1023 06-15-2009 05:55 AM

Re: Need fishing buddy in Hudson Valley NY
Not sure where in the Hudson Valley you are but if you are anywhere close to Westchester/ suggestion is to go onto the Croton watershed's Trout Unlimited website and look to buy their handbook (I think $15)....."Fly Fishing the Croton Watershed".....It contains information that on your own would take many years to accumulate....all the various tailwater streams - access points - bugs info. There are no hot spots per se...rather just very productive streams - each with numerous holes, bends, waterfalls, that as you explore yourself you will come to realize are "hot". Also...Mid Hudson TU has a chapter that meets in Poughkeepsie...They also have a handbook with info about Dutchess County/Columbia streams - including access points - what flies to use - etc. And in terms of finding a fishing partner....These TU chapters always have fishing trips you can get in on. This is your best bet.....and of course the internet. Good Luck.

midgenut 06-07-2015 08:16 AM

Re: Need fishing buddy in Hudson Valley NY
Hi Allen, not sure how you made out with your fly fishing request. My long time fishing buddy just moved to Colorado....looking for someone to fish in the area.....let me know..Bill