The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 08:10 PM

AllenC is on a distinguished road
Default Need fishing buddy in Hudson Valley NY

Hey all. I am pretty new to fly fishing. I have the basics down: form, types and varieties of line and different types of bugs. Only problem is, I do not know where the hot spots are. So I guess I am looking for someone to show me the ropes a bit. Look forward to hearing back.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:55 AM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice
Default Re: Need fishing buddy in Hudson Valley NY

Not sure where in the Hudson Valley you are but if you are anywhere close to Westchester/Putnam......my suggestion is to go onto the Croton watershed's Trout Unlimited website and look to buy their handbook (I think $15)....."Fly Fishing the Croton Watershed".....It contains information that on your own would take many years to accumulate....all the various tailwater streams - access points - bugs info. There are no hot spots per se...rather just very productive streams - each with numerous holes, bends, waterfalls, that as you explore yourself you will come to realize are "hot". Also...Mid Hudson TU has a chapter that meets in Poughkeepsie...They also have a handbook with info about Dutchess County/Columbia streams - including access points - what flies to use - etc. And in terms of finding a fishing partner....These TU chapters always have fishing trips you can get in on. This is your best bet.....and of course the internet. Good Luck.