The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 06:39 AM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Wading Jacket Question

I own a longer length hooded rainshell (REI), a normal length hooded rainshell (Mountain Hardware), and a wading jacket (Ovis Tailwater). I have fished in all three in some truly nasty rain conditions. Based on my experience I believe there are three important functional differences worth considering between rainshells and a good wading jacket:

1. Sleeve closure. A good wading jacket has neoprene cuffs with velcro bands around the cuff; if the band is secured the cuff is virtually 100% water tight. When you cast your sleeve is pointed uphill. If you cast in a steady, cold rain your layered clothes under a rain shell will become thoroughly soaked in the casting arm area. Spending a long day in near freezing temperatures and wind with a cold, wet arm will seriously sap body warmth. Been there, done that, did not enjoy it.

2. Pockets. The pockets of a wading jacket provide dry storage for fly boxes in an easily accessible manner. Rainshell pockets usually aren't as large or as conveniently positioned, nor as weather proof.

3. Zipper seals. Rainshells usually use standard YKK zippers protected by rain flaps and/or rain flaps & wind flaps. Wading jackets usually use YKK waterproof zippers backed by internal wind flaps. As a result the wading jacket is much warmer and much tighter against blowing rain.

I have fished 8+ hour days in very cold, wind driven rain in both my wading jacket and my rainshells. In the Orvis wading jacket at the end of the day I was still toasty warm, I had a small amount of rain seepage at the casting wrist/cuff, and some wind driven rain entrance around the lower neck front area (entered at the throat/hood). In similar conditions in the rainshells I was much colder, felt damp overall, my casting arm was soaking wet from the wrist to well above the elbow, and my head and neck and chest were fairly wet.

I love fishing nasty weather--especially cold, windy, rainy days when I can have a trout river or stream to myself. Given the conditons I fish I wouldn't give up my Orvis Tailwater wading jacket for either of the two Gortex rainshells I currently own. However, if I only fished the occasional warm, gentle rain day I might feel that either rainshell was sufficient.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:35 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Wow, what a timely subject. I just got back from Patagonia last week & I had picked up a camo "Gortex Pac-lite" jacket from B. Pro for the trip. What a disaster. We had some torrential rains down there & I might as well been wearing a non waterproof windbreaker. I was soaked from head to waist
(waders did keep me dry where the water didn't run down.) . It's a good thing my buddy advised me to bring 2 sets of raingear so I dug out my 10 year old Hodgeman wader jacket & wore it the rest of the 2 weeks. It kept me as dry then as when it was new. I did wash it & spray it with water proofing about 2 years ago & I guess that's what made the difference. The jacket was getting a little frayed in the lining so that's why I figured on replacing it but I'm sending the new one back to Bass pro & looking at LL bean for the next one because my buddy wore one all the trip & had no problems at all.

Neil
Old 02-26-2011, 07:13 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

The reason most /all of the guides use Simms is they get them for 1/2 price.
In the Past I've only used Waders,Vests over a sweater or 3/4 Jacket,although it can get cold over here,usually snows each year however it isn't as cold as in the US.
When I went & fished out of 2 Lodges in Alaska last year I purchased a Redington Bow River Red Storm Wader which is waterproof,has the inner sleeves,velcro wrist straps,a hood,a waist draw string & very good Zippers.
I found with Chest Waders & layering underneath was excellent,at times I was a little too hot,better than being cold.
I think at the time it only cost $199 & the only problem I had is I didn't don't need all the pockets as it was a pain looking where I had put my stuff.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 02-27-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:20 AM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road

I just purchased a Solitude Altima here for under $100.00, (retail $199).
Online Fly Shop - Hyde Drift Boats Its great and waterproof but may be a bit warm in the summer.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

This is my next all around fishing/hunting/hiking/you name it shell: Guide Jacket | Building KUIU

This is a brand new company and hasn't released anything yet, but they look to be making serious gear based on their consumer's desires. While it is geared toward hunting, it will obviously keep you warm and dry while fishing as well.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap10 View Post
That's kinda the direction I was going. Im a big fan of Marmot, They have some really great jackets sub $200
Just my opinion, but you can keep dry for a fraction of $200. I'm not saying that the dollar store unbreathable rain-coat is what I use, but $200??? REALLY??? And that is the cheap stuff??? That sounds like brand name inflation. Ask yourself honestly, "What do I need the jacket to do?" You can stay dry and have 4 pockets, and decent quality for far far far less than $200, and probably less than $100. I have a waterproof jacket that gets me by and I think I gave 35 on sale for it at Gander Mountain. I don't look like a Super-de-Duper Simms advertisement when I'm wearing it, but I am just as dry as the guy wearing the coat that cost him 10X more.

Now, if you WANT, not NEED a nice stylish current Simms, Marmot, etc by all means go get one if its in your budget, but I dont think that anyone can reasonably convince anyone that they NEED a 350 rain-coat. But, somehow the SIMMS ads in the fly-fishing magazines have convinced so many that thye do...

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWCC View Post
I own a longer length hooded rainshell (REI), a normal length hooded rainshell (Mountain Hardware), and a wading jacket (Ovis Tailwater). I have fished in all three in some truly nasty rain conditions. Based on my experience I believe there are three important functional differences worth considering between rainshells and a good wading jacket:

1. Sleeve closure. A good wading jacket has neoprene cuffs with velcro bands around the cuff; if the band is secured the cuff is virtually 100% water tight. When you cast your sleeve is pointed uphill. If you cast in a steady, cold rain your layered clothes under a rain shell will become thoroughly soaked in the casting arm area. Spending a long day in near freezing temperatures and wind with a cold, wet arm will seriously sap body warmth. Been there, done that, did not enjoy it.

2. Pockets. The pockets of a wading jacket provide dry storage for fly boxes in an easily accessible manner. Rainshell pockets usually aren't as large or as conveniently positioned, nor as weather proof.

3. Zipper seals. Rainshells usually use standard YKK zippers protected by rain flaps and/or rain flaps & wind flaps. Wading jackets usually use YKK waterproof zippers backed by internal wind flaps. As a result the wading jacket is much warmer and much tighter against blowing rain.

I have fished 8+ hour days in very cold, wind driven rain in both my wading jacket and my rainshells. In the Orvis wading jacket at the end of the day I was still toasty warm, I had a small amount of rain seepage at the casting wrist/cuff, and some wind driven rain entrance around the lower neck front area (entered at the throat/hood). In similar conditions in the rainshells I was much colder, felt damp overall, my casting arm was soaking wet from the wrist to well above the elbow, and my head and neck and chest were fairly wet.

I love fishing nasty weather--especially cold, windy, rainy days when I can have a trout river or stream to myself. Given the conditons I fish I wouldn't give up my Orvis Tailwater wading jacket for either of the two Gortex rainshells I currently own. However, if I only fished the occasional warm, gentle rain day I might feel that either rainshell was sufficient.
Good point, you do want sleeve closures, it is hard to cast if the butt of your rod slides into your coat sleeve, but primarily to keep the water out. Mine however are not neoprene closures, just elastic and I havn't been bothered by a little trickle now and again. If I was concerned about every last drop of water I'd stay inside. And my jacket has a rain flap, not a waterproof zipper and I have never had an issue with seepage through there. The little bit that can get through there is soaked up and dispersed by my wool sweaters and I never even know about it.

CORRECTION; The top of the line is not $350 anymore. Simms (who owns the price ceiling on everything) has now produced a $479 jacket, that's over 5 bills with tax. The tax on that coat cost more than my coat!

Last edited by ausablebrown; 03-01-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:13 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I attack the rain jacket conundrum with two approaches:
1. If it just sort of looks like rain, I have a nice, light Cabelas wading length rain jacket that fits nicely in the pouch on the back of my vest. Works fine for just about every circumstance

2. If it is cold and raining when I get off the porch, I wear my Simms, yes Simms wading jacket, with its buzzillion pockets and retractors and wrist keep-the-water-out thingies and hood, awesome forest green color, etc. The only drawback I can see to that jacket is the hideous MorganStanley Dean Witter One Fly patch sewed onto it. But hell, it was free.