The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 11:15 AM

kap10 is on a distinguished road
Default Wading Jacket Question

Hello,
I have a question about wading jackets. Are they really that much better then a regular waterproof breathable jacket? I ask the question because I am in the market for a new jacket and I just want to see if others on the form use a general rain coat or storm shell for wading in the rivers. I realize that some of the wading jackets have bigger pockets for fly boxes, hooks for nippers and such, and waterproof zippers but they also cost a arm and a leg. If I buy storm shell from a company like Marmot, Arcteryx, or Mountain Hardware they can cost half the price as a Simms Guide or G3.

If any one has some suggestions I am more then happy to listen. I also have a budget or around $200-$250 Kinda looking for best bang for my buck and a jacket I can wear in all situations. If money were no object then I would not be asking these questions
Old 02-25-2011, 11:22 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wading Jacket Question

Mine is a Gore-Tex PacLite jacket. Not designed specifically as a wading jacket, but the only reason I wear any jacket is to keep the weather out when it's nasty outside. I think the higher end wading jackets are over-rated and over-priced, but that's just my opinion. My jacket is just a waterproof shell and I dress in layers underneath for warmth. I know Gore-Tex is pretty pricey, but I found mine at Sportsman's Outlet for $50 on sale. I still wear my chest pack either under or over the jacket, depending on the weather.

Kelly.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:11 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Personal opinion here only but I think the short jackets are next to useless. First you have to be sporting chest waders and standing up for them to be effective. Sitting in a drift boat, or just down for that matter, you're odds on favorite to get a wet Fanny.

If nasty weather really is an issue, stick with a 3/4 length jacket. The 3/4 jacket (regardless of what WP material its made of) also makes a heck of a good 'wind breaker' on otherwise just nasty days.

Just my .02 cents.

Bye the bye, I do have one of the 'shorties, ' and it gets darned little use.

fae
Old 02-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Mine is a Gore-Tex PacLite jacket. Not designed specifically as a wading jacket, but the only reason I wear any jacket is to keep the weather out when it's nasty outside. I think the higher end wading jackets are over-rated and over-priced, but that's just my opinion. My jacket is just a waterproof shell and I dress in layers underneath for warmth. I know Gore-Tex is pretty pricey, but I found mine at Sportsman's Outlet for $50 on sale. I still wear my chest pack either under or over the jacket, depending on the weather.

Kelly.
+1 for what Kelly said. Last spring (after 30 yrs of fly fishing), I finally broke down and bought an Orvis wading jacket just to see what all the fuss was about, but I feel that any good gore-Tex jacket would work just fine and at a lot lower price point.

Larry

Old 02-25-2011, 03:36 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Ditto everyone above. $350 "wading" jackets are loaded with bells and whistles that aren't worth it. Now I suppose if you fishing in the great NW, or are a hard core steelheader and spend considerable time fishing in inclimate weather and heavy rain, then maybe the big pockets and places to attach zingers, etc would be convenient.

For my $200 (or $100 or whatever) I'd much rather have a good all around shell that I can wear fishing if it's cold or wet and that I can also wear around town and not look like a walking advertisment - "Look at me, I'm a Fly Fisherman!".

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Also, Marmot, MH and Arcteryx make excellent gear. So does Simms and you can get a good jacket from them that is not a G4000 or whatever. The niche gear, i.e. Simms is going to cost you more for basically the same quality as general mountain gear. I buy Simms for the stuff that really makes a difference; waders, boots, etc.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:47 PM

kap10 is on a distinguished road

That's kinda the direction I was going. Im a big fan of Marmot, They have some really great jackets sub $200
Old 02-25-2011, 05:07 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Browse through the windbreakers and rain gear at a local golf shop, especially in a month or so when it goes on sale. The only things that you'll be missing are a hood and big chest fly pockets. Mine is from Scotland where you can get cold windy sideways rain and at 1/3 the price of some FF jackets.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

The Redington Stratus wading jacket gets good reviews and is on sale at Sierra Trading Post for $60 because it's an older design. *EDIT* Ooops, it's sold out.

The newer version the Stratus II seems to have been designed with better pockets, and is only $100.

Still, I don't like the idea of buying specialized coat, so I just wear my ORC softshell or an lightly insulated rain jacket I got from REI.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I bought a Simms GorTex Wading jacket I forgot which one, its the same one that MP mentions once in a while that he has. I only bought it though, because I found it cheap brand new on Fleabay and I love it. I frankly can't believe I got it as cheap as I did and that no one else bid on it, but was brand new and its not a 2nd or anything. My point in bring it up is if you think you'd like a wading jacket check Ebay do a search specify the price range you are willing to spend then save the search, then if something comes up you will receive an email from Ebay. I didn't do that, but I was just lucky.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:06 AM

gtom61 is on a distinguished road

Hi. I'm relatively new here and i did recently buy the newer Redington Stratus II wading jacket and got a chance to really use it in rain/snow last month. It was inexpensive as wading jackets go, very well made, plenty of storage, and kept me dry all day. For that day, the shorter jacket came in handy and allowed me to get pretty deep without getting the jacket soaked. But i guess the question is also how often would you wade that deep. The price of $89 was right for me, but i agree with everyone that a good quality breathable waterproof jacket, maybe in 3/4 length, might be the better option and may get more all around use.

Another inexpensive wading jacket which my partner had is a Columbia PFG Rain Defender, which is also on sale right now at Sierra Trading for less than $75.00, even cheaper if you have a discount code. He really liked it and it served him well on our trip. Just another option.

Good luck.

Gerry