Bags / Packs

chart33

Reaction score
What does everyone look for in bags/ packs? Are there any must have features of back packs and chest packs?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Chart,

Welcome to the forum; old school here, I bought a Filson strap vest / pack in the mid 90's and I use that on warm days or when hiking in some distance. Mine is the wax finish type and has the back pack. Handy for rain gear and some snacks / beverage, and lots of tippet pockets and fly box space. Not exactly 21st century but it's getting it done here.

Ard

chart33

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm new to fly fishing and am trying to learn as much as possible about the gear.

Davo

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a new one this year, we'll see. Right now I'm using an old DB Dun waist pac I bought about 16yrs ago or more. Went to it when I finally gave up my Simms vest last year. It was just to cumbersome and hard to work with in the drift boat. I'm considering strongly the Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Last season I changed from a vest to a sling pack. It makes rock hopping so much easier. It seems like there is never anything in the way. Even the vest would billow out, and throw off balance. I'll never go back. Plus, it holds a lot of stuff, and is easier to get too.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Just ordered the FPond waterdance pack in deep water blue. I'll report back soon.
I have been using a Filson knock-off strap pack (like Ard). It was poorly made in China.Lasted a only three seasons.
Like the style, because I tend to wade deep and don't enjoy soaking everything. Weight is on my shoulders rather than on my neck.
I'm having it remade by a friend to my specks. Ooooo. Can't wait for that.
I'll give a report on the custom pack later.
Been using a waterproof portage pack for client waters/lunches/clothing etc.
Features that help...
Quick to drain/dry is a good feature (just in case of a swim).
Quiet colors too.

Jim

dean_mt

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a new one this year, we'll see. Right now I'm using an old DB Dun waist pac I bought about 16yrs ago or more. Went to it when I finally gave up my Simms vest last year. It was just to cumbersome and hard to work with in the drift boat. I'm considering strongly the Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack.

I've been using the FP Guide whatever is for a few years and have yet to fall in love with it, so I don't think it will happen.

It functions nicely but the details that I can't get past are:
if you wear it around the waist behind you, when you need something you have to swing it around, then inevitably loosen the belt so you can loosen open the zippers to get inside. This is because to have it stay in place when behind you, it has to be cinched down everywhere really well. To gain access to larger pockets you have to loosen a few straps up. Not a huge deal, but...
I have not found a very good way to carry a net. If I feel like I might need one (feeling particularly hopeful one day) I stick the handle between my back and the pack. I works. I don't carry a net much.
The water bottle holders are a pain to actually get a water bottle into without using two hands...that's convenient. (Mine is 3 years old, maybe they have changed the design since) BUT they are the perfect beer can holder, especially a 16oz tall-boy.
No room for anything extra. You can smash a PB&J in there or a couple power bars but you can't take a reasonable lunch, and no jacket.

Now, sorry to be such a nit-picker, but for nearly $100, these things just don't function as well as they should. It is a summertime, couple hours on the water pack, IMO. If you are going to hike 3 miles and fish, this doesn't work because you can't carry extras. And you can't wear it along with a backpack either, it just doesn't work.

My quest for a really nice, functional pack without all sorts of molded plastics and gimmicky pockets continues. This Simms pack looks about there: Simms Fishing Products : : Headwaters? Tech Pack
It is simple, which is a big surprise looking at all the other new stuff they are making, holds a jacket, water, and food in a small back pack and the flies and tools you need for fishing on the front.

jimw

Reaction score
Being a saltwater guy I use a stripping basket always and the Orvis sling pack is the only way to go, it gets out of the way and is well made

Davo

Reaction score
Just ordered the FPond waterdance pack in deep water blue. I'll report back soon.
I have been using a Filson knock-off strap pack (like Ard). It was poorly made in China.Lasted a only three seasons.
Like the style, because I tend to wade deep and don't enjoy soaking everything. Weight is on my shoulders rather than on my neck.
I'm having it remade by a friend to my specks. Ooooo. Can't wait for that.
I'll give a report on the custom pack later.
Been using a waterproof portage pack for client waters/lunches/clothing etc.
Features that help...
Quick to drain/dry is a good feature (just in case of a swim).
Quiet colors too.

Jim
Jim

Look forward to your thoughts on the Waterdance Pack, I'm probably going to make do with m old one during preseason and then buy something new during runoff. So I'll be waiting you review with baited breath. :D

MacFly55

Reaction score
I use the orvis sling pack. My usual day of fishing is a short walk to the water and then going at it.

This pack is great. Its very comfortable to wear. I can push it back and out of my way. It holds my tippet spools, tools, three to four medium sized fly boxes, snack, drink container or two, and extra little bags of this and that that no matter how I try I cannot keep out of the pack even though I seldom use any of it. It also has a few extra pockets for my knot tying tool and hemostat.

I dont carry a net with me but Im betting a handy person could figure out how to attach one and keep it out of their way until needed.

This pack has been updated this year. Its a little larger and has added features like a strap to help hold the hemostat or other small tools more securely.

For the money it is a great pack. I have had it for at least three years and have beat it up but its like a timex watch.. takes a lickin and keeps on tickin
:D

MacFly :cool:

chart33

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info everyone! I really appreciate it. I am going to go out and try a bunch out before I commit to any thing.

As a newbie, what are the must have features that everyone looks for in a sling pack, chest pack, or back? I'm really trying to do my due diligence here and as with bass fishing and bow hunting I like to do a lot of research before I drop cash!

Thanks again!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Bigfly

Reaction score
chart33, everyone has different needs.
As a guide I have a lot of stuff to carry.
But the things that upset are.....
Things that stick-out to catch line when casting.
Packs that don't drain if you swim.
Bright colors to drive fish away.
Slow access, or stuff falling out.
If it's too big, you carry too much.
If it's too small you don't carry enough.
Packs that supposed to have water resistant zippers, that aren't.
Too much toughness that adds weight.
Too light, so it falls apart.
Bottom line though, no matter which you buy, you will want others.
A bit like women, careful what you ask for.

Jim