The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 PM

chart33 is on a distinguished road
Default Bags / Packs

What does everyone look for in bags/ packs? Are there any must have features of back packs and chest packs?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Bags / Packs

Hi Chart,

Welcome to the forum; old school here, I bought a Filson strap vest / pack in the mid 90's and I use that on warm days or when hiking in some distance. Mine is the wax finish type and has the back pack. Handy for rain gear and some snacks / beverage, and lots of tippet pockets and fly box space. Not exactly 21st century but it's getting it done here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-01-2011, 06:22 PM

chart33 is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I'm new to fly fishing and am trying to learn as much as possible about the gear.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:32 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I'm thinking about a new one this year, we'll see. Right now I'm using an old DB Dun waist pac I bought about 16yrs ago or more. Went to it when I finally gave up my Simms vest last year. It was just to cumbersome and hard to work with in the drift boat. I'm considering strongly the Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack.

Click the image to open in full size.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Last season I changed from a vest to a sling pack. It makes rock hopping so much easier. It seems like there is never anything in the way. Even the vest would billow out, and throw off balance. I'll never go back. Plus, it holds a lot of stuff, and is easier to get too.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If you want to haul alot of stuff, these are hard to beat-
Mountainsmith Tour Lumbar Pack, Recycled: Backpacks at L.L.Bean

I've got one of these on the way for going much lighter-
Click the image to open in full size. CamelBak Delaney Plus Waistpack at REI.com

The angle of the bottle should allow it to work well over my right shoulder as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:23 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Just ordered the FPond waterdance pack in deep water blue. I'll report back soon.
I have been using a Filson knock-off strap pack (like Ard). It was poorly made in China.Lasted a only three seasons.
Like the style, because I tend to wade deep and don't enjoy soaking everything. Weight is on my shoulders rather than on my neck.
I'm having it remade by a friend to my specks. Ooooo. Can't wait for that.
I'll give a report on the custom pack later.
Been using a waterproof portage pack for client waters/lunches/clothing etc.
Features that help...
Quick to drain/dry is a good feature (just in case of a swim).
Quiet colors too.

Jim
Old 03-03-2011, 01:19 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
I'm thinking about a new one this year, we'll see. Right now I'm using an old DB Dun waist pac I bought about 16yrs ago or more. Went to it when I finally gave up my Simms vest last year. It was just to cumbersome and hard to work with in the drift boat. I'm considering strongly the Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack.

I've been using the FP Guide whatever is for a few years and have yet to fall in love with it, so I don't think it will happen.

It functions nicely but the details that I can't get past are:
if you wear it around the waist behind you, when you need something you have to swing it around, then inevitably loosen the belt so you can loosen open the zippers to get inside. This is because to have it stay in place when behind you, it has to be cinched down everywhere really well. To gain access to larger pockets you have to loosen a few straps up. Not a huge deal, but...
I have not found a very good way to carry a net. If I feel like I might need one (feeling particularly hopeful one day) I stick the handle between my back and the pack. I works. I don't carry a net much.
The water bottle holders are a pain to actually get a water bottle into without using two hands...that's convenient. (Mine is 3 years old, maybe they have changed the design since) BUT they are the perfect beer can holder, especially a 16oz tall-boy.
No room for anything extra. You can smash a PB&J in there or a couple power bars but you can't take a reasonable lunch, and no jacket.

Now, sorry to be such a nit-picker, but for nearly $100, these things just don't function as well as they should. It is a summertime, couple hours on the water pack, IMO. If you are going to hike 3 miles and fish, this doesn't work because you can't carry extras. And you can't wear it along with a backpack either, it just doesn't work.

My quest for a really nice, functional pack without all sorts of molded plastics and gimmicky pockets continues. This Simms pack looks about there: Simms Fishing Products : : Headwaters? Tech Pack
It is simple, which is a big surprise looking at all the other new stuff they are making, holds a jacket, water, and food in a small back pack and the flies and tools you need for fishing on the front.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:14 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Being a saltwater guy I use a stripping basket always and the Orvis sling pack is the only way to go, it gets out of the way and is well made
Old 03-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Just ordered the FPond waterdance pack in deep water blue. I'll report back soon.
I have been using a Filson knock-off strap pack (like Ard). It was poorly made in China.Lasted a only three seasons.
Like the style, because I tend to wade deep and don't enjoy soaking everything. Weight is on my shoulders rather than on my neck.
I'm having it remade by a friend to my specks. Ooooo. Can't wait for that.
I'll give a report on the custom pack later.
Been using a waterproof portage pack for client waters/lunches/clothing etc.
Features that help...
Quick to drain/dry is a good feature (just in case of a swim).
Quiet colors too.

Jim
Jim

Look forward to your thoughts on the Waterdance Pack, I'm probably going to make do with m old one during preseason and then buy something new during runoff. So I'll be waiting you review with baited breath.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures