The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Best year round waders (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/10973-best-year-round-waders.html)

ksigtuck 08-11-2009 10:22 PM

Best year round waders

I currently own a pair of Reddington chest waders that I have had many years. They are finally starting to break down so I am beginning to look at a replacement. In the past I have mostly fished only in warmer months but now I am looking forward to fishing year round. I want a another pair of breathable chest waders and wanted to hear from you all on what would be the best pair to buy. I don't mind spending a little money on them if they are going to last.
Thanks
Tuck

GRN 08-11-2009 10:29 PM

Re: Best year round waders

Lot's of great choices... Simms, Patagonia, Cloudveil, even high end Orvis or LL Bean (Bean has the best return policy on the planet), just depends on how much you want to spend. If you are going to layer under them for colder adventures, take layers with you and make sure you buy them big enough... and think about buying your boots a size bigger as well... you can wear heavy socks in the summer without getting hot (standing in cool water in breathable waders)... but you can't do without them when it's cold.

mcnerney 08-11-2009 10:39 PM

As GRN says there are lots of high quality waders on the market, do some shopping, some of the big companies are offering some very nice discounts. About a month ago I finally bought a new pair of Orvis Tailwater waders that list for $329 but are on sale for $249 and that included a new pair of wading boots. There are other companies offering good deals just do some looking around.

Larry

speyrod1 08-12-2009 03:15 AM

good advice all around Bare has a great breathable wader also im on my second pair the first pair i had for approx 6-7 years well worth the money when you figure in i fish roughly 250 days a year
Layering is the most important thing come colder months as i fish weather up hear in Sault Ste Marie Ontario right into Jan freeze up a must is a good set of under armor which wicks the moisture away from the body
good luck on your choice

BigCliff 08-12-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRN (Post 65506)
Lot's of great choices... Simms, Patagonia, Cloudveil, even high end Orvis or LL Bean (Bean has the best return policy on the planet), just depends on how much you want to spend. If you are going to layer under them for colder adventures, take layers with you and make sure you buy them big enough... and think about buying your boots a size bigger as well... you can wear heavy socks in the summer without getting hot (standing in cool water in breathable waders)... but you can't do without them when it's cold.

All good advice here. Dan Bailey makes great stuff too.

I'll recommend three different routes-

1- Buy a pair of Gore-Tex Simms and you're set for years.

2- Buy the $100 (roughly) LL Bean waders and you've got a hell of a value that will last a good while.

3- Check www.sierratradingpost.com and www.mrfc.com for some smokin deals on most of the brands GRN mentioned.

ksigtuck 08-12-2009 01:06 PM

Cliff...which of the Simms gore-tex waders would you recommend?
Tuck

FISHN50 08-12-2009 01:24 PM

I'm turning in my second pair of LL Bean's Rapid River Waders because of leaks. This pair is only 2 months old. I checked their website & there were complaints about these waders leaking in the same place. This is the 4th pair of LL bean waders I turned back in for leaks. They always take them back & apologize & are very courteous but I'm getting a little fed up with them. I'm just going to take a ride to Cabella's & pick up a pair there. They also have a good return policy...