The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 12:31 AM

sdgreg is on a distinguished road
Default fly fishing sling/pouch

I'm looking for a simple sling type pouch or something similar that I can stash my flies in when I go out fishing.
My friend who got me into fly fishing has this great little thing from JW Outfitters, and I think it is a perfect, no nonsense, light kit to take along. I can't seem to find it anywhere, or anything similar.

It is a small, tri-folded nylon or poly-shell pouch, with a clear pocket on the front for your license and stuff, a felt/velcro interior (good for holding streamers and such,) and two plastic boxes that velcro on to the inside of the center fold, to hold flies and small things like that...It also has a d-ring on the bottom that he's got a tippet spool holder hooked to, and a mesh pocket on the rear for random stuff. It measures probably 4'' wide by 6'' long, and 3''thick folded, and unfolded about 16 inches long. A simple cord stitched along one of the folds serves as the sling.

The closest thing I could find was a Hodgman sling-pack, but it looks a little bulky. Probably never going to find anything like it, and JW Outfitters is nowhere to be found either.

Anyone have any good suggestions for a simple setup like this?
Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: fly fishing sling/pouch

Have you looked at the Orvis or William Joseph sling packs (images attached below in that order)? I have the former and find it pretty compact and amenable to adding extra small gear packs to its ergonomic strap or to the sling pack itself when needed. I've not seen the William Joseph sling pack in person, but it's hard to see how you could "sling" that pack out of the way behind you when not needed since it has packs on front and back, unlike the Orvis which doesn't have a pack on the back as well, making it easy to move the pack to the back when you don't want anything in your way in the front.
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:24 AM

sdgreg is on a distinguished road

This one my friend had was actually closer to a lanyard with a pouch, and I have since found one similar, made by Mayfly.
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

That Orvis pack looks nice, its pretty big though...I don't usually take much when I fish, but thats usually because the spots I have been to so far don't require much gear to get to or fish. Eventually I'm sure I'll need something like a chest pack or one of those sling packs but till then I'm starting pretty minimalist.

I went to the Santa Ana river over this weekend, and all I took with me was my rod, a box of flies in my pocket, and a bottle of water, and hiked probably a half mile down the river, stopping at pools to fish. I just went back to the car for lunch. A sling/lanyard would have been handy there, but it seemed I didn't or wouln't have needed much more. My friend who I was with at the time wore his vest, and it seemed like overkill.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgreg View Post
I went to the Santa Ana river over this weekend, and all I took with me was my rod, a box of flies in my pocket, and a bottle of water, and hiked probably a half mile down the river, stopping at pools to fish. I just went back to the car for lunch. A sling/lanyard would have been handy there, but it seemed I didn't or wouln't have needed much more. My friend who I was with at the time wore his vest, and it seemed like overkill.
It seems like you are learning that you can minimalize. The reality is that most of your fly fishing accessories won't be touched. If you plan ahead, you'll know which flies you need which limits the number of boxes down to one. Whatever you need, you can stuff in your pockets. Accessories could be hung off of a lanyard. If you want to hump some water down and maybe carry a few extra accessories, wear a hydration pack.

When I minimalize, I use a Morningstar lanyard and stuff everything into my pockets.

Click the image to open in full size.

MP
Old 09-03-2009, 11:22 AM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

I prefer a lanyard. It's just too hot in Texas to wear vests or packs. I'm thinking of getting a waist pack to carry a few more flies when fishing an river for the first time, when I'm not sure what's biting.

Check out Water Walker lanyards. Rick Mang will build a custom lanyard for you at the same price as any other one. Great guy!

http://waterwalkerlanyards.blogspot.com/
Old 09-13-2009, 08:57 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

I will second the Water Walker Lanyards. Rick made one for me on short notice before I left on a trip to Colorado earlier this summer. Well made. Looks good. Works well. Good value. I have received several compliments on mine.