The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orvis Pro Guide wading jacket

I got to jump in here and say GORE TEX is good stuff and well known but in a survey in a magazine a few years ago, the Orvis material held up just as well, but if you feel better with a name, great.
Not saying SIMMs isn't good gear, it is some of the best. Just a little put out that the shoes are CHINESE, better look at labels from now on.

I have the TAILWATER jacket from Orvis. Going on 9 years now and as good as day one.
I like the cuffs as they do keep the sleeves dry. The waterproof pockets ARE waterproof.
The adjustable hood is killer. The fleece at the top of the zipper so it doesn't scratch your chin. GOOD STUFF. I wouldn't say $70. is allot cheaper, but enough to get some good line...;-)
Old 09-17-2009, 04:30 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippet View Post
...there is actually nowhere to clip it to. You'd have to slightly open a pocket or on the side over the zipper.
Oh, too bad then! I guess you could use one of those lanyard contraptions around your neck.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:59 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I got to jump in here and say GORE TEX is good stuff and well known but in a survey in a magazine a few years ago, the Orvis material held up just as well, but if you feel better with a name, great.
It's not about "feeling better with a name". It is about my extensive personal experience over several decades with "waterproof & breathable" clothing. In my experience, my Arcteryx jacket made with GoreTex Pro Shell is the ONLY garment I have ever had that keeps me dry while exercising. That's enough to make me think it is good stuff and worth buying again, so I did.

My experience means a heck of a lot more to me than some article in some magazine a few years ago. Gore Tex Pro Shell wasn't even around a few years ago.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

You're missing my point. Have you "TRIED" the Orvis? My guess no, as you have stated that with your experience with Gore-Tex has not let you down. Great, I wouldn't have thought anything less. It is great stuff as I stated.
BUT, so is the Orvis.

Someone that has NOT had your hands on experience, as this person appears, can definitely appreciate your experiences I am sure.
My experience is with Orvis and no complaints here either.

But, rest assure, I have Gore-Tex also.

You don't hear allot of Complaining on L.L. Bean, Patagonia, William Joseph, etc. Jackets that is.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:57 PM

tippet will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
Oh, too bad then! I guess you could use one of those lanyard contraptions around your neck.
....guess I will. Hate those things
Old 09-18-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Just a little put out that the shoes are CHINESE, better look at labels from now on.
My Orvis EZ-On Sidezip boots are made in Vietnam. My Orvis Tailwater XT waders are made in China. Not sure what your point is, really.

Do you buy only USA-mfgd stuff?
Old 09-18-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
My Orvis EZ-On Sidezip boots are made in Vietnam. My Orvis Tailwater XT waders are made in China. Not sure what your point is, really.

Do you buy only USA-mfgd stuff?
Would like to, but that is a little tuff as we all know.
Buy USA? - When possible and a choice...YES
And that is my point, that is all.

I know Orvis has allot of Chinese GOOD gear. Just a little surprised when I saw it in Simms and RED WING.
Life goes on.

Last edited by Joni; 09-18-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:55 AM

tippet will become famous soon enough

Update

Well only after a short time I've noticed an issue. The material where the sleeve and the side of the jacket rub together has started to fray. I was in Manchester and saw one of the employees who had the same jacket. He's had his about 6 months and it looked awful. I would guess these areas will lose the ability to repel water.

It's going back to Orvis

Last edited by tippet; 10-27-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:49 PM

lavelanet is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread but as both jackets are still available I thought I'd add my two cents for anyone else searching on this and coming across this thread like I just did. First let me say I love Orvis. They are a great company and their return policy is fantastic. Second, I am not a guide or a extremely tough user of this sort of equipment anymore but I do have expectations. I ended up buying the Orvis Pro Guide Jacket 2 years ago and really liked the jacket. I finally returned it for the final time the other day and got my money back. It was my 4th jacket in 2 years that had failed me. Two had issues with the bottom button below the zipper where the button was too strong and after a normal usage it literally pulled itself apart. They fixed that after the first year and first two jackets. Then the new jackets both had zippers that broke with in 6 wearing. So I just returned my fourth Orvis Pro Guide Jacket (even though I really like it the way it was designed.) The other issue with it was a pretty important factor for me. It didnít keep me dry, thatís a pretty important feature in a wading jacket for me.

So now Iím planning on buying the Simms G4 Pro jacket because I have learned a very important thing. When you have limited time to fish and your trip gets ruined because of your jacket, your jacket not failing on your becomes very important. And everything Iíve heard and read about the G4 sounds like exactly what Iím looking for. That said itís seems to be getting harder and harder to find which makes me wonder if itís up for redesign soon. I like the Gun metal grey better than any of the other colors Iíve seen for it but Iíd prefer if it had a olive or Loden color and am hoping Simms announces something soon before I regret waiting and learn a new lesson. A guy without a wading jacket always gets wet in the rain. 
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:56 PM

That's too bad on the Orvis! But, I like your attitude. I bought my Pro Guide Orvis Jacket back in 2001 so I am sure the design has changed a few times. Happy to say I still use mine with no defects (knock on wood) and keeps me dry.
Click the image to open in full size.

Good luck with the Simms. Nice having choices.
littledavid123 likes this.