The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 03:15 PM

tippet will become famous soon enough
Default Orvis Pro Guide wading jacket

.....has anyone tried this jacket yet? If so what are your thoughts?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2009, 06:53 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Orvis Pro Guide wading jacket

I'm torn between that jacket and the Simms G4. I think the G4 is going to get the nod on payday. The Orvis uses some kind of unknown breathable membrane, the Simms uses the best material GoreTex makes ... I have an Arcteryx jacket ($$$$) that uses the same stuff and it is the only waterproof breathable garment I have ever had that actually really keeps me dry. The construction on the Simms is very similar, and the materials are the same.

I have lots of Orvis stuff, but in this case I think I will go with Simms. I should mention I inspected them both closely and tried both on at stores in San Francisco, so my judgment is based on that rather than websites and catalogs.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:06 PM

.....the one thing that might be an issue for me is the fact that the hood can not be tucked away.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I used an Orvis pro guide vest,waders and a rainvest,it's good stuff...I've changed for Simms...which seems far better
Old 09-16-2009, 11:58 AM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
I used an Orvis pro guide vest,waders and a rainvest,it's good stuff...I've changed for Simms...which seems far better
I bought the Simms G4 Pro jacket yesterday (in gunmetal, not that weird orange), and I'm really pleased with it. I like the way the hood rolls up and is held in place by a velcro strap. The pocket system is really really ingenious. I think it's going to be great out on the water!
Old 09-16-2009, 01:32 PM

.......I went ahead and bought the Orvis. Picked it up for less than the advertised $329. Looked into getting the Simms but I could convince myself to spend $400 on a jacket.

The Orvis seem to be a very nice jacket. Fits great and has a nice appearance. It can zip up high covering part of my face which will be great for steelhead fishing. A total of five pocket plus hand warmers on each side. The pockets are very roomy and the zippers work well. I think my favorite feature of this jacket is that there are no flaps for your line to get caught in.

I haven't tested it in the rain yet, but soon I hope!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippet View Post
.......I went ahead and bought the Orvis. Picked it up for less than the advertised $329.
I hope you enjoy it. It is definitely a lot cheaper than the Simms.

To me, the Simms is worth the extra money. I'm sure they're both great wading jackets though!
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:59 AM

......I'm sure you'll love the simms. I wanted it bad but couldn't come up with the extra cash.
One bad thing I noticed about the Orvis is no D-rings on the front. So if you don't use a vest you have no place to attach a tippet holder or zinger
Old 09-17-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippet View Post
......I'm sure you'll love the simms. I wanted it bad but couldn't come up with the extra cash.
One bad thing I noticed about the Orvis is no D-rings on the front. So if you don't use a vest you have no place to attach a tippet holder or zinger
Well, they have clip-on zingers that should work. The Simms has two of their very cool plastic coil retractors built right in to the front of the jacket, and they live under little "tents".
Old 09-17-2009, 12:26 PM

...there is actually nowhere to clip it to. You'd have to slightly open a pocket or on the side over the zipper.