The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 10:40 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Waders - Comparing Brands

Dan Bailey Lightweights, you can't go wrong with the price and granted I haven't owned mine very long I have put them through HELL! Briars, fences, breaking through shelf ice, you name it. One pin hole that was my own doing though, one of those "what the !@#& just happened" casts! For the price, the storage pockets, hand warmer pockets, light weight, and durability you can't go wrong. I can't say enough about them best pair of waders I've ever owned. For boots check out Chota they make some decent stuff at a decent price, these days you might as well go with a rubber tread and some studs as alot of states are banning felt.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:51 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Good point about the rubber sole/stud boots!
Gary

Last edited by gt05254; 03-10-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: wrote cleat meant stud.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi acoustic,

Being new you are probably not aware that Simms was and is the leader in breathable waders. They pioneered the concept and construction working closely with Gore. There is no doubt in my mind that the best breathable waders use GorTex. The low end Simms waders do not use GorTex and the breathability between the low end Simms and Orvis are probably similar. I don't know how the construction compares.

Here is something to consider. Buy the Headwaters Pants instead of the full chest waders. I am a big fan of pants and can highly recommend them over chest waders. They are cooler, lighter and pack slightly smaller. Pants would be a good choice for flying. The Headwaters Pants list for $250 and that is your budget. USA made compared to many that are imported.

Frank

Simms Headwaters Pant
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:35 AM

acoustic is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the background. Pants are probably out of the question for me as the river I'll fish the most can get well beyond waist deep. How is the packability overall for chest waders? Are they difficult to travel with, i.e. would lightweight and easier packing waders be much of an advantage or would it be pretty slight for most people?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 PM

h dot verseman is on a distinguished road

If you get stockingfoot waders, you can pretty much pack most any wader into a small cube. I used to pack mine in a basketball backpack. I packed my old waders into slightly deeper than normal shoe box before.

I have too many all purpose bags, to use a wader bag. I just keep a blue camping pad to change on while travelling.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:43 PM

So looking at the sizes overall, it seems like the sizing is a little odd for Simms. For the Headwaters, the inseams seem to be pretty long, and the foot seems to be pretty small. Are these sizes fundamentally different from normal inseams and foot sizes?

I know this is probably a noob question, but with my 30" inseam and size 12 foot, none of the Headwaters will fit me at all. Of course I'd go into a store to try them out to confirm, though.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:01 PM

h dot verseman is on a distinguished road

being someone with a more than average sized foot, this sizing chart, *and every other*, seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I'm 6'3, 240 and have a size 15 or 16 size foot. Most of these will never fit me. That said, my old pair of waders were a size 12 foot that I squeezed into and the legs and body portion were more than comfortable enough to wear. Call simms and see what custom options they can get for you
Old 03-10-2011, 10:58 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Accoustic,
As h dot verseman did, anyone could get a customized Simms wader. In your case, it might be as simple as having a wader built with a custom stockingfoot. Try on a stock size Headwaters wader. If the legs and body portions of the waders fit but the feet don't, order a set with the correctly sized stockingfoot. The option will cost you an additional $65. Turnaround time for a custom set will be about three to four weeks.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 03-12-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: I overedited. Now it is correct.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic View Post
So looking at the sizes overall, it seems like the sizing is a little odd for Simms. For the Headwaters, the inseams seem to be pretty long, and the foot seems to be pretty small. Are these sizes fundamentally different from normal inseams and foot sizes?

I know this is probably a noob question, but with my 30" inseam and size 12 foot, none of the Headwaters will fit me at all. Of course I'd go into a store to try them out to confirm, though.
Hi Acoustic,

Waders don't fit like a pair of pants. You need that extra length in order to bend over without stressing the seams. You need to visit a store and wear the most you might wear under the waders. That is, if you might wear felt pants and a pair of pants under the waders then that is what you should wear to test the fit. You should be able to bring one leg up into your stomach and not pull the wader too tight in the seat. Or, squat down and have someone look at the seat for tightness. Try a few sizes and you will see the difference in how they fit. What ever you do don't just put on the waders and stand in front of a mirror and make sure you look good in them. The ladies have a tendency to do this and out on the river they are too tight. Not all ladies, just some.

Frank
Old 03-11-2011, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the tips about what to look at for gauging fit. What about foot size? Are they listed similar to normal shoes? Will my size 12 fit in ones that list sizes 9-11? I know I'll figure this out in store, but what should I look for in that part of the waders for fit?