The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 01:01 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Waders - Comparing Brands

Redington CPX zip waders are great. Durable, functional and relatively cheap.
the only down fall is, it doesnt breath as well as it should.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:03 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

If I don't like the CPX wader then eventually I'll go to the G3's.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I have been told it's best to stuff them, to prevent folding repeatedly on the same crease.
So, thats what I do. No problems so far.

Jim
Old 11-11-2011, 04:07 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Question Re: Waders - Comparing Brands/ ANY FEEDBACK ON FULL LENGTH ZIPPERED MODELS???

I have a pair of Dan Baileys that I spent $300 for and have fished for 11 years usually wading 6-10x per year. The only leaks came when I had to maneuver through a thorny area. That was fixed by the company 3 years ago without problems. I've very happy with them in that they have kept me dry year in and year out with only minimal maintenance.

So my next investment will be the ones with full length zippers. Besides the lone comment here, has anyone got any experience with these models? I'm wondering if the zippers can handle the frequent open/close usage and stay dry throught out the day. These are a bigger investment but would be very convenient for folks who like to stay well hydrated during the day.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:09 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: Waders - Comparing Brands/ ANY FEEDBACK ON FULL LENGTH ZIPPERED MODELS???

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
I have a pair of Dan Baileys that I spent $300 for and have fished for 11 years usually wading 6-10x per year. The only leaks came when I had to maneuver through a thorny area. That was fixed by the company 3 years ago without problems. I've very happy with them in that they have kept me dry year in and year out with only minimal maintenance.

So my next investment will be the ones with full length zippers. Besides the lone comment here, has anyone got any experience with these models? I'm wondering if the zippers can handle the frequent open/close usage and stay dry throught out the day. These are a bigger investment but would be very convenient for folks who like to stay well hydrated during the day.
I gave the Redingtons to my son in law and got the Simms. No issues yet with the zipper.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:03 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Waders - Comparing Brands/ ANY FEEDBACK ON FULL LENGTH ZIPPERED MODELS???

Does anyone here have any experience with the Redington Sonic-Pro's? I picked up a pair of these for well below retail the other day at my fly shop and was just curious if anyone uses them.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have had Orvis Pro Guide waders for 6 years. Yes I have sealed seam, but all minor. I was mine at LEAST twice a year and sprey the sealer on them and they are good as new to this day.
I had a pair of Simms at the lodge, but they too leaked.
When these go and I can no longer patch them, I will probably look at Orvis again, maybe Simms.
Oh and I guide so I do wear mine....;-)
Old 11-20-2011, 10:43 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Does anyone here have any experience with the Redington Sonic-Pro's? I picked up a pair of these for well below retail the other day at my fly shop and was just curious if anyone uses them.
I got a pair of Sonic Pro Zip waders last winter. I have put at least 40 days fishing with them since. So far, no leaks. The zipper works well. I love the ease of getting in and out of the waders. My only negatives are that the stockingfeet are larger than I prefer (I can live with that), and that the membrane does not breathe as well as Gore Tex. But then again, it is hard to beat Gore when it comes to breathability.

For the money, I think that it may be the best value on the market.

Dennis
Old 11-20-2011, 10:57 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Mosca. I picked up the pants, so ease of getting in and out wasn't much of an issue anyways. But yes, the stockingfeet do seem a bit large, but that's alright since at least a 1/3 of our fishing days are spent with multiple layers of socks anyways. The technology in them worried me a bit as far as durability goes, but it seems most people are pretty pleased with how well they're holding up for them. Hopefully that is the case with me too.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:23 PM

mikeman715 is on a distinguished road

I am new to the sport as well, and picked up a pair of 100(each) dollar LL bean waders and boots. They may not be the best, but I think the quality is pretty darn good. The major bonus is their lifetime warranty.