The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 03:01 PM

acoustic is on a distinguished road
Default Simms Freestone Wading Boots

Hey Everyone,

I just got my first fly rod and am looking for some wading boots. I like the Simms Freestone boots, any opinion on them? They're at the absolute upper limit of my budget though.

I'll be fishing mostly in a slow moving to rapids river which has some large boulders between a sandy bottom, with many small to medium boulders as well (no gravel).

From everything I know so far, it seems like these boots would be a good choice, but I also know I'm a total noob on this topic haha. Is there something better I should look at?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simms Freestone Wading Boots

If you want a very heavy boot, go for it. The Streamtread rubber soles should be okay for you, but I would add the studs for extra insurance.

If you want to stay with a lighter boot with a felt sole, look at the Greys G-Series boots. For $79.95, it is a great value for a boot.

MP
Old 03-08-2011, 08:53 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I have a pair and like them very much. Try these guys for your boots. They don't have a great selection on their sale boots but you may get lucky.
http://www.redtruckflyfishing.com/p/...wdr%2Cbts&os=1

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 03-08-2011, 09:39 PM

Ahh I think felt is out of the question - I might be moving to Vermont soon. How much of a factor is weight? I know you probably don't want to be lugging lead around all day, but are these a lot heavier than others? Have any suggestions for lighter, non-felt, boots with similar qualities?

Oh and thanks for the tip about that site, I hadn't found a site that sold a good spread of items for sometimes discounted prices.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:59 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic View Post
Ahh I think felt is out of the question - I might be moving to Vermont soon. How much of a factor is weight? I know you probably don't want to be lugging lead around all day, but are these a lot heavier than others? Have any suggestions for lighter, non-felt, boots with similar qualities?

Oh and thanks for the tip about that site, I hadn't found a site that sold a good spread of items for sometimes discounted prices.
Used the Freestone boots for years for a couple of reasons. Cost vis a vis a darned good boot and they're 'wider' than most others. You have a couple of pairs of socks on and add a 3-5 MM neo-booty on your feet ... you'll need a wide boot to stuff all that into.

Just an additional thought here, but NEVER buy a wade boot via the web. Take your socks/waders and try them on before you buy. A cramped foot = a cold foot.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I 2nd the above.

For me.. it's fit/comfort first.

Everyone's feet are different, doesn't matter how good the soles are if the boots don't fit well.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Used the Freestone boots for years for a couple of reasons. Cost vis a vis a darned good boot and they're 'wider' than most others. You have a couple of pairs of socks on and add a 3-5 MM neo-booty on your feet ... you'll need a wide boot to stuff all that into.

Just an additional thought here, but NEVER buy a wade boot via the web. Take your socks/waders and try them on before you buy. A cramped foot = a cold foot.
That's good about wider then haha, I already wear EE or 4E on some shoes. Has weight ever been an issue for you? Do you still use them/would recommend them for my likely usage?

Thanks for the tip about trying them on with everything else first. To be sure, I may be young, but I'd never even think about making such a large purchase without thoroughly looking it over in store. I happen to be lucky that both an Orvis store (thinking about getting the Sonic Seam waders) and a Leland Outfitters (for the boots) are on the same block - and I live in a city.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Height at 5'11" isn't an issue ... in my 'dotage' I'm actually 3/4 inch shorter than I was in my 20's. Weight is only an issue as I've lost too much! Big feet arn't an issue sporting a "10-D" wrapped around my toes.

It's one of those odd things here. Clocked in at 180 from High School to my early 60's. Then, and no clue why, I lost 20 pounds! To add insult to injury ... my balance also went to heck. A wading staff is my friend if I go in deeper than my knees .... DAMNED SELDOM ANYMORE!

But back on point: Always amazed me as to why 99% of the 'people' who design boots never seen to do any fishing, save for mid-summer when you could get away with a light cotton sock.