The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 12:11 PM

edwardo is on a distinguished road
Default Vest, chest pack, or hip pack?

In buying my kit to get started fly fishing, I can't decide whether to buy a vest, chest pack, or hip pack. I'll be mostly wading and fishing for trout and bream. I definitely want to keep it inexpensive (below $80) because there is sooo much stuff to buy getting started. Please give me some pros and cons of each. What do you use and why?

Thanks,
Eddie
Old 03-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Vest, chest pack, or hip pack?

Last season I switched everything from my vest to this sling pack.
Click the image to open in full size.
Pros: easier for me to get to stuff; won't balloon out while rock hopping; holds more (like lunch); more freedom of movement.
Cons: must switch back to vest to float tube; too few "D" rings (new ones improved this problem).
Old 03-12-2011, 12:40 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

This will be my first season fly fishing, but I bought one of the William Joseph chest packs. It has the magnetic closure, which I thought was a good idea as opposed to zippers. Just my two cents, as I don't really have enough experience to have an opinion
Old 03-13-2011, 05:47 AM

h dot verseman is on a distinguished road

I really recommend the Simms Headwaters Chest/Hip convertible pack. I bought it for just under 80, they go as low as 60 though.

I switched from an old vest to this pack for three main reasons. 1- it stores more items then my old vest. 2. It organizes it much better than my old vest. 3. It converts extremely easily from being worn high on the chest in high water wading conditions, to around the waist while walking which is much more comfortable.

that is the pack I got. Its awesome. I chose that over Orvis and the william joseph pack because it is sleeker, and more comfortable to wear. However, that william joseph pack will store the kitchen sink and then some. I don't think you could go wrong with the Simms or the William Joseph, I suggest finding a store that has both, rifling through the features, walk around with them, and then chose.

I think the william joseph is more money though, somewhere around a buck 25
Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I ditched the vest and chest pack and went strictly to a waist pack, much more comfortable for me. I feel much more balanced and not so confined in the upper body, didn't like all that bulk in front of me. Now all I do is swing my waist pack around to the front of me, get what I need and swing it back out of my way.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
I ditched the vest and chest pack and went strictly to a waist pack, much more comfortable for me. I feel much more balanced and not so confined in the upper body, didn't like all that bulk in front of me. Now all I do is swing my waist pack around to the front of me, get what I need and swing it back out of my way.
Don't know how deep you wade, but I've had problems with a waist pack if I'm wading chest-deep.

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 03-14-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:59 PM

edwardo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Don't know how deep you wade, but I've had problems with a waist pack if I'm wading chest-deep.
I really like the idea of a waist pack but I too am concerned about wading in deeper water.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:14 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
If your wading chest deep your going to have a problem with anything, vest, chest pack or waist pack so what are you using??

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardo View Post
I really like the idea of a waist pack but I too am concerned about wading in deeper water.
Look at it this way, anything over your waist your going have a problem. Like I said in the previous post, a vest or chest pack will also be useless. I have a Simms dry creek waist pack and everything stays dry, the pack is water resistant / weather tight. I wouldnt trade it

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-14-2011, 10:01 PM

h dot verseman is on a distinguished road

the pack i featured has integrated waist belt, that tuck away when in use on the chest. its the best of both worlds. it also triples as a sling, although i think those are pretty useless.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:25 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=popperfly;224651]If your wading chest deep your going to have a problem with anything, vest, chest pack or waist pack . . .

Well, you're right, but of course it's a matter of degree. Just because you're wearing chest-high waders doesn't mean that you're wading up to your shoulders. My point was, you can wade with a high-riding vest and it will stay dry when a waist pack will be well underwater.