The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Colder weather fishing gloves

Picked up a pair of Simms Windstopper fingerless mitts today. They feel really good on so I am looking forward to trying them out. They was a less expensive pair without the windblocker "technology" but I preferred the feel of the palm in the pair that I got (almost a rubbery feel) to the fleece palm in the other.
Thanks for the advice,
Tuck
Old 10-13-2009, 06:42 AM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksigtuck View Post
Picked up a pair of Simms Windstopper fingerless mitts today. They feel really good on so I am looking forward to trying them out. They was a less expensive pair without the windblocker "technology" but I preferred the feel of the palm in the pair that I got (almost a rubbery feel) to the fleece palm in the other.
Thanks for the advice,
Tuck
I have the Simms Windblocker fingerless ones and used them at dawn last weekend at Sugar Creek Ranch. I was in my float tube and the air was in the low 40s. My hands stayed toasty warm, even when the gloves got wet. My fingers were a little cool, but not too bad.

I like the gloves a lot, glad I bought them.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:14 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
I have the Simms Windblocker fingerless ones and used them at dawn last weekend at Sugar Creek Ranch. I was in my float tube and the air was in the low 40s. My hands stayed toasty warm, even when the gloves got wet. My fingers were a little cool, but not too bad.

I like the gloves a lot, glad I bought them.
Glad to hear this. The salesman told me this same thing but I was quite sceptical considering he was trying to sell them to me. I had a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that wet gloves could still keep you warm but he swore by it.
TUck
Old 01-09-2010, 10:42 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Everyone,

When in Alaska I used several different ways to keep my hands warm. The best glove was the neoprene skin diver gloves with fingers.
Frank
This is what I've found that I like the most. 3mm thick, my hands get sweaty but not cold. I don't remove them unless its a bathroom break and have fished all day with wet gloves but warm hands. I can even tie on a fly with these. I've tried many gloves, getting wet hands in 40 degree water and air temperatures below freezing, theses work for me. I'm going to give scuba diving socks a try out to see if they keep my feet warmer.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:00 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I use the Simms fingerless gloves but the type with mitts that can go over the fingertips and thumbs.
Toasty stuff!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:20 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I've been using the layer system. First disposable latex gloves, next polypro glove liner, finally fleece or wool fingerless glove.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:20 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

In the digital printing world one needs to use a cloth glove, much like t-shirt material.....I put that on first, then overmit it with a surgical glove.....hands stay dry and don't build up alot of moisture due to the cloth under-glove
Old 01-23-2010, 08:05 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
This is what I've found that I like the most. 3mm thick, my hands get sweaty but not cold. I don't remove them unless its a bathroom break and have fished all day with wet gloves but warm hands. I can even tie on a fly with these. I've tried many gloves, getting wet hands in 40 degree water and air temperatures below freezing, theses work for me. I'm going to give scuba diving socks a try out to see if they keep my feet warmer.
I forgot to add that the gloves I have do not leak cold water in. When they wear out I'll get another pair. I recently had a stocker rainbow poke a hole in my glove when I was handling it but fixed the hole with some UV wader repair. I've been very impressed with these. Now if there was a way to keep the feet warmer. Scuba socks didn't work for me.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:03 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

In case you are interested, Bass Pro has sale going on for the Kenai Glacier Gloves (fingerless). Neoprene palms and fleece tops. $9.94.

I picked mine up at the Baltimore location the other day.