The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 05:13 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough
Default Colder weather fishing gloves

I am looking to pick up a pair of gloves for fishing in the upcoming colder weather. As this will be the first time that I have fished in anything other than warm weather I am lost as to what I need...what works...what doesn't? Please send along all recommendations and tips.
Thanks,
Tuck
Old 10-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Colder weather fishing gloves

I use the wool gloves with no finger tips. Been using them for 25 years, I can't seem to handle line with neoprene gloves on. There may be some gloves that are warmer but once the wool quits keeping you warm there are other problems to deal with.............. like the big gobs of ice in all your line guides. I've always thought myself hardcore but once I'm looking at temps under 30* it's time to tie flies.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-07-2009, 09:05 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Expensive for gloves but I use Simms fingerless. http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/win...67.164.197.182
I had Orvis fingerless fleece and wore them out. Bought the Simms ($34) a couple years ago. I like their length and the windstopper membrane. Fleece dries quick too. Nothing to keep my finger tips warm except a pocket. I guess growing up fishing in cold weather, I figure cold fingers comes with the territory.
I also use a hand warmer. You light a stick and place it in the handwarmer in your pocket. Works ok for me.
For the head, Simms again. Last year at Henry's was bitter cold especially with the wind. Went into W Y and bought this at Blue Ribbon Flies.
http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/gor...tream_hat.html
One of the best damn cold weather investment I made. Goretex +fleece = damn warm.
$50 seems like a lot for a hat, but I'd rather spend the money and be warm, than a tight wad freezing my tush off. Same with spending $34 for fingerless gloves. I'm sure others out there have less expensive solutions. I went that same route for years.
One more thing. For the neck, this year since I have 2 buffs already, I'm planning on using one for a neck/face warmer.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

When in Alaska I used several different ways to keep my hands warm. The best glove was the neoprene skin diver gloves with fingers. This worked very well for operating boats, pulling up anchors or any active that got your hands wet. They don't offer the feel that you get with fingerless gloves when fishing. The big disadvantage was if you removed one and put it back on you had an instant cold hand.

In my job we had technicians and mechanics who had to work outside all year around. That meant working in sub-zero weather. There were occasions that they had to chip whorefrost off of a tower so they could climb it. They had big mittens but some of the work required using bare hands. The best thing we found for this was chemical heat packs. They would used several to keep hands, feet and core warm. They can be expensive but it may be worth it for a few outings each winter.

For fishing I think Mojo has it figured out. Use fingerless gloves of wool or fleece and carry one or two hand warmers. You do have to be careful that some of the chemical warmers can get up to 130 degrees. So if you put one next to your skin and cover it with a coat, it could get pretty warm.

Frank
Old 10-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use the fingerless ragg wool gloves for fly fishing, but when I ice fish, I use fleece gloves for a liner and rubber dishwashing gloves for the overmit
The dishwashing gloves come in some lovely colors too

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:58 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

Mojo: I actually had looked at those gloves on line earlier today and liked the looks of them so I am glad to hear your reply. Now I will have to find time to make it down to the fly shop to try a pair on.

Frank: What are some name brands of the chemical hand warmers that you are talking about? Curious so I can look them up and see where I can buy some.
Thanks,
Tuck
Old 10-08-2009, 10:16 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksigtuck View Post
Mojo: I actually had looked at those gloves on line earlier today and liked the looks of them so I am glad to hear your reply. Now I will have to find time to make it down to the fly shop to try a pair on.

Frank: What are some name brands of the chemical hand warmers that you are talking about? Curious so I can look them up and see where I can buy some.
Thanks,
Tuck
For handwarmers, check out Zippo
http://www.zippo.com/Products/handWarmer.aspx?bhcp=1
or the solid fuel type which I use. It's rectangle about 4" long and a couple wide, has a red fabric cover, opens up and a black solid fuel stick fits in the middle. You light the stick until it glows red- like a charcoal briquette and place it in the cover and close it.
I can't remember what the brand is, but you can get them at Wally world. Fuel sticks are pretty cheap too.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I use the fingerless ragg wool gloves for fly fishing, but when I ice fish, I use fleece gloves for a liner and rubber dishwashing gloves for the overmit
The dishwashing gloves come in some lovely colors too

Click the image to open in full size.
Rip,

You are indeed a fashion dynamo, and thrifty too.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Expensive for gloves but I use Simms fingerless. http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/win...67.164.197.182
I had Orvis fingerless fleece and wore them out. Bought the Simms ($34) a couple years ago. I like their length and the windstopper membrane. Fleece dries quick too. Nothing to keep my finger tips warm except a pocket. I guess growing up fishing in cold weather, I figure cold fingers comes with the territory.
I also use a hand warmer. You light a stick and place it in the handwarmer in your pocket. Works ok for me.
For the head, Simms again. Last year at Henry's was bitter cold especially with the wind. Went into W Y and bought this at Blue Ribbon Flies.
http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/gor...tream_hat.html
One of the best damn cold weather investment I made. Goretex +fleece = damn warm.
$50 seems like a lot for a hat, but I'd rather spend the money and be warm, than a tight wad freezing my tush off. Same with spending $34 for fingerless gloves. I'm sure others out there have less expensive solutions. I went that same route for years.
One more thing. For the neck, this year since I have 2 buffs already, I'm planning on using one for a neck/face warmer.
Mojo: I use the Simms glove you have listed, I bought them in Alaska and they have worked great over the years. For a cold weather hat I use something similar to what you have listed but it is designed for dog mushers in Alaska, it works great when the temps drop.

Larry
Old 10-09-2009, 08:12 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Fingerless wool is what I use the most...Also found some fingerless that had thinsulate in them, use those when it's real cold...For the rest I have a wool "Radar O'Reilly" cap, and the zip neck heavy weight polypro under polyfleece pullovers...

Dan